Does anyone remember Peckham Manor School?

atila the gooner

• 3 weeks later...

sybfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I remember Peckham Manor and have created a

> facebook group for anyone interested...

>

>

> Peckham Manor boys / Girls school

>

> Thanks

>

> Shiraz

As i know nothing about facebook, how do you access it? Does your info go back to the late 60's and early 70's?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Yes i went to peckham manor school.i left there in 1965.and it was an all boys school.but befor that it must have been a mixed becouse the entrace.one for boys one for girls.but i think it was in the 30,40,and 50s.but round about 55 it went to all boys.do enyone remember billson.and gamgi.and burrell

• 11 months later...

I went to PM from 70 - 75. It was a tough school and race tension was an everyday event. Some of the teachers cared but many of them were tired of the challenge.

Perhaps it was just me, but I think many of us graduated with a 'don't take no for an answer' attitude. I remember my first day, all in my new uniform. I had 5 fights that day, we were like wolves deciding the pecking order. As a small white kid with glasses it was important to show I was not one to be a target. It worked, Over the next 5 years I only had a handful more. I hated that place. it looked like a prison.

I Live in Oregon now and have a teen of my own. I made sure he attended a school with teachers that cared, well designed environment and surrounded by a beautiful park setting with every recreational facility any boy could want. He loves his school.

• 5 months later...

I was at Peckham Manor from 1960 to 1965. It was all boys, and the girls were across the road at Peckham Girls school. The only good thing I remember about the school was the school orchestra, I played the trombone, and the yearly school play.

The one bit of scandal was that a french teacher was made pregnant by the Head of Upper School. he was a retired major and still married.

I left without any O levels, but finished up as a university lecturer. I now run a boarding kennels and train gun dogs in South West France

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Yeah the 1.1-8 system was just wrong. I was in in 1.7 to 5.7 (don't think it went to 6.7 did it?) it encouraged classism, those in .8 thought they were so special and we all kinda looked a little down on numbers below us. A bad system that encouraged elitism.

I remember getting banned from the school dinners for the rest of the year once for starting a food fight that really made a mess of the first floor hall. I went on to starting chalk fights in the art room. Lol

Anyone remember that science teachers name who was a former football player? Ooowww I just remembered.. mr Merrett. A really cool guy, made it almost livable.

Tell us your favorite teachers if you can remember.

• 5 months later...

I went to peckham manor from 1963 to 1968 , and for a ginger haired boy with glasses and a bad stammer , it was hell on earth , that hellhole nearly drove me to suicide , i still have flashbacks to this day , that school was for twisted sadistic monsters who bullied me every school day for 6 long years , i met one of those creeps some years ago , and he had a shock , instead of the little weed in glasses ,he saw a 6ft well muscled man with smashing blonde bird on his arm , he tried to show me up , but i took him outside that pub , and took out my revenge on his face , needlessly to say , i left him in a bloody mess .

Yes that school taught me some good lessons for life :- 1 don't trust anybody

2 Do not make friends

3 work hard and fight to keep what you work for .

4 don't take shit from anybody .

Iam now a 4th dan in karate , own my own company , and am known as a complete and utter bastard .