Do You Love Libraries?

reggie

Daisy I don't know when you last went to the library, I'm thinking it must have been a really really long time ago. All staff in Southwark libraries are young and part of the local community.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Southwark libraries, They're so brilliant. All types of people use them from all backgrounds. I saw Jo Brand in Dulwich library at the weekend.

Southwark have the best libraries of all boroughs I've lived in. Great books, DVDS, and CDs, and free use of computers. As well as running workshops, talks and kids clubs, free WIFI, recent magazines to read.

Libraries are so important in the community and am very glad Southwark are fighting for theirs. I think you should get out more Daizie instead of showing such an outdated attitude towards libraries.

Many years ago I visited the Newington Library at the top of Walworth Rd. Disappointed with what I thought was a poor selection of fiction I asked one of the elderly librarians whether there was a bigger library in Southwark I could use.

She thought for a moment then said "Well some people say Dulwich Library is bigger." Then quickly added, to reassure me, "But that's only because it's got more books."

Well,'many years ago'is probably the key sentence there.

There are loads of libraries in Southwark, they have a little fold up mimi pamphlet with all of the libraries addresses available in all libraries. You can have a look at the website too.

Anyway I'm not going to try to sell the libraries to anyone anymore. If you don't want to take full advantage of the great FREE resources we have on our door step that's up to you, and it means less of a queue for the Mad Men box sets anyway!

daizie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No I dont. Crusty tight people and Bogey's. Whats

> all that with the shushing and creeping around.

> Staff always look like they need a shag .

Have some Rep daizie :)

We have the internetz these days........Libraryz for dunsiz!

Dulwich Library is great and I feel bad I only use it to go and collect (lots of) garden recycling bags.

Memo to self: Start using Dulwich Library for books instead of the Mind Shop at Goose Green, and use their CD section more because it's very eclectic :)

Libraries are not redundant Pearson, your point wasn't proved!

If you went to one they're always busy, with people using them!

And the amount of kids/teenagers I see using them (and not always accompanied by parents) always makes me happy. Instead of seeing books, films, music as a commodity, borrow them and immerse yourself in free/extremely cheap culture and entertainment.

daizie Wrote:

> No I dont. Crusty tight people and Bogey's. Whats

> all that with the shushing and creeping around.

And that's just the customers...

> Staff always look like they need a shag .

As long as its a quiet one...

PS I LOVE libraries :)

Pearson Wrote:

> ^Point affirmed, libraries are now redundant.

> Unless of course you need bags for garden waste.

> (which i don't because Southwark have given me a

> bin for that specific purpose)

>

xxxxxx

I don't have room for a garden waste bin in the miniscule area outside my tiny terraced house :-$

ETA: And yes, the council gives away re-usable green bags, but it took three phone calls to get them to actually deliver any to me, so I had to go and get one-use brown paper bags from the library :X

Everyone needs acsess to books,and other services given by a library.

Not everyone has computers,

Children love books.to handle and choose,its a basic learning tool.

The way of life in Brittain is being destroyed it seems.

They probably want to knock them down, and build housing for the elite.

Everyone will be moved to the moors,who cannot afford the rents.

minkturtle Wrote:

> I like libraries a lot - I get 2 or 3 books a week

> out from Dulwich. But I must say, with talk of

> closures and such, it did make me wonder if we

> really need two libraries on Lordship Lane. Would

> anyone be sad if they did away with Grove Vale?

Well judging by the number of people I see in there, particularly young children, I think that they would. If you live that end of ED, then trekking all the way up to the main one is time consuming, particularly with very young children.

And for those who don't know, you can search the Southwark libraries catalouge online, and reserve and renew your books there too. I don't use it very much at the moment, but used to in the past and may well do again in the future. My problem is I've got an appalling memory, and wind up with rather sizeable library fines :-$ so sometimes it's cheaper for me to buy the book...

Maybe if they put a few computers in them,,like one of those shops,an area to work quietly printers, and a picture developing section alongside the many books. it would pull more feet in the places.

The libraries could open four days a week, maybe shut a bit earliar.

Saving losing them altogether.

As for Grove library, older folk use these places a lot and I dont think its fair to expect them to travel up the hill.

I did notice people wanted the posh one left open. tch tch.

I could not do without a library - fortunately Dulwich Library is only a stone's throw away from the house.

I generally get 5 or 6 books out at a time, rarely get DVDs or music. I too forget to return on time and get fined - I do not worry as fines go back into the coffers. I would rather have reduced library hours than no library.

Friends were very surprised that Dulwich Library was open on a Sunday - where they live it's half day on saturday, closed on day during the week and only open to 7 pm a couple of days a week ( they live in London).

Well the clocks gone already pugwash,maybe someones taking all the good things from different areas and putting them

where they can impress all the "Games tourist"

Years ago there were hundreds of items in Greenwich museam then by the early sixties they were all removed and put in

British museam instead.

Pugwash Wrote:

> Friends were very surprised that Dulwich Library

> was open on a Sunday - where they live it's half

> day on saturday, closed on day during the week and

> only open to 7 pm a couple of days a week ( they

> live in London).

Southwark library opening hours are great, I must say.