Lightbulbs

Tarot

I dont like the low energy light bulbs, they are just dont give out enough light.the trouble now is,where can you

buy light bulbs.

Some of those bulbs dont even fit in to lamps and someone told me if you broke one it would be dangerous as it has

a kind of cynide in it.

So what is the truth of that, and the long term outlook of this situation,is it compulsory.

Will goverment buildings and premises etc be working in half light,or will the privalleged be using ordanary bulbs

while the great unworhty have to turn trogladites and use thes glass candles.

Tarot, you can find low energy light bulbs in the same range of brightness as high energy light bulbs.

You need to look for the 'equivalent' wattage on the wrapping. For example, a low energy 25 watt bulb may give out the equivalent light of an old skoole 60 watt bulb. If you want 100 watt you can find them. Or 200 watt or whatever.

Old skoole (tungsten) lights don't even give out a full range of colours. They're actually yellow. They compete with TV LED lights, which are blue.

If you don't believe me, walk down the street after dusk. The yellow and blue lights of the competing light sources are very clear in people's windows.

I think the real problem is that low energy lights are just different.

There's nothing that can be done rationally to address this, you just need a few deep breaths and to relax.

The main problem is that they take a few minutes to get warmed up. But once they have, they give off plenty of light. As Huguenot says, you have to check the "equivalent wattage".

Given the reduced energy consumption and the (much) longer life, I'm happy to use energy saving bulbs.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to sell non eco friendly lightbulbs these days, however, I was in Dulwich DIY yesterday and asked for 2 x 60 watt lightbulbs, expecting that they would give me the energy equivalent version. When I got home, I did indedd discover, that they had given me EXACTLY what i had asked for....

wee quinnie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was under the impression that it was illegal to

> sell non eco friendly lightbulbs these days,

> however, I was in Dulwich DIY yesterday and asked

> for 2 x 60 watt lightbulbs, expecting that they

> would give me the energy equivalent version. When

> I got home, I did indedd discover, that they had

> given me EXACTLY what i had asked for....

I think, although I'm not 100% certain, it's the case that they don't manufacture them anymore, but they can sell existing stocks until they run out. When they do, all you can get is the eco-friendly ones.

As for them lighting up quickly or not, they seem to vary enormously. The newer ones I've got take only a second or two to get to full brightness, but I've got one of the freebies sent out by one of the energy companies a couple of years back. I hate it - it takes about 5 minutes to get to full brightness, so I have a habit of switching the light on, then putting other lights in the room on whilst it warms up. Often by then I've finished in there, so they all go off, or I might leave it on for a bit if I think I'll be popping in and out. Trouble with that is that I then forget about it and it gets left on when it shouldn't be. Hardly environmentally friendly. I really must get around to changing it.

Exactly Minkturtle. they should lead by example,it seems stupid to have dim lights while half of Londons is lit up

all night.

The high glow of the south bank of a night can be seen from where I live.

It probably wouldnt benifit our bills either.

Have they altered the emissions of gas on the fridges yet.

I bought a washing machine that washes at low temratures,I have seen no change in the electric bill, and now on the adverts they are saying,you cannot kill germs at low tempratures.

I think they all have ulterior motives. something to do with their phony reports of whose been the best country for saving the planet.Yeah loks like they(goverments) are making a right B++++++s of it.and expect us to vote for them

portraying they are earth Angels. Time for tea I think.