Cuts to minimum wage in Ireland

Ladymuck

Ooooh thank you Narnia.

But how come I didn't find that? (Rhetorical question).

Anyway, re. the cuts to minimum wage: thin edge of the wedge if you ask me (but you haven't - so I'll shut up and just be grateful for the article).

Interesting vis a vis the welfare benefits. Although I didn't ask for it, thanks for that too!

You really want to know?

Well, my Drawing Room thread, which - admittedly is primarily concerned with the UK - might give you a clue or two (have you never looked at it?). But, at the risk of sounding an utter bore, any erosion of employees' rights bothers me. The proposed MW cut in Ireland is a major step back (in my opinion) given the reasons for its introduction in the first place. But, importantly, Ireland, as well as being a member of the EU, is a close neighbour of ours: thin edge of the wedge and all of that. It doesn't bode well.

Such matters just happen to interest me.

Blimey, I am flattered that you thought I might know WOD. Unfortunately I only know what I have read in Narnia's links. My interest lies with the reduction of the MW of employees who are already on the lowest of wages: i.e. the poorest and most vulnerable in Irish society.

This thread was merely to discover the latest position as I have been away and couldn't find it: it wasn't meant to progress into an academic debate:-$. I suppose I should have placed the request in the "wanted" section. Sorry to disappoint you.

Can anyone else assist WOD?

My thread seems heavy-going???!!!!! You're avvin a laff mate! Your God thread makes mine look like something out of teletubbies! On the rare occasion my pea-brain has attempted to contribute to that most arduous and cerebral of (God) threads, I have been told off for messing about! I'll never forget the time the esteemed Chair of the moment saw fit to issue a reprimand for quoting Homer Simpson. So, so, funny. Oh dear, oh dear, my eyes weep as the memory comes flooding back...

> For your info LM, I was reading today that if FG

> wins the election they will reverse the cut to the

> MW.

Well that's interesting...may FG win then (not that I know much about what else they have to offer)! But their proposal to reverse says a lot about this crazy, shortsighted - not to mention regressive - cut. You haven't the link to the article, by any teeny weeny chance?

Thanks BTW.

PS: edited to say: welcome back OliviaDee

Thanks for the link OD. Interesting stuff. I wish I had the time to really get my teeth into this area of Irish Politics. Alas I can barely keep up with what's happening over here.

Ahem, you are very cynical, if I may say so. As bad as Mick Mac. Dearie, dearie me.;-)

OliviaDee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FG are FF with different ties on. They won't do

> it.

>

This is true.

If anyone is interested, there some interesting places to seek informed current opinion on anything to do with NAMA, the IMF and the future of the EU: http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/ and http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewforum.php?f=32

But what FF did with regard to CB was despicable. They patronised a lobby for affordable childcare and more places by not engaging with the real need/issue there and instead jumped up the CB payments - including, incredibly, giving each child ?1000 PA !!!!!!!!. Of course this did not result in any more childcare places, and those already existing doubled their prices so as to take that money off the parents, and then some - the CB has been seriously cut and is due for further cuts, that annual payment is long gone, no more places created and the problem of childcare exacerbated rather than solved. And that was FF all over - buy off any irritant when we were oh so flush rather than build an infrastructure, or any lasting legacy for that matter. Besides CB - that's only women and children anyway. Nothing you really have to bother about.

• 5 months later...

OliviaDee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FG are FF with different ties on. They won't do

> it.

>

> (Thanks LM)

Well, guess who I spoke to today? The Secretary for the Young FG of Co. Clare - no less! Yes! And he told me that FG have in fact reversed FF's cut to the MW. Good news, I say.(tu)