Southwark Council Garage Rents ---

PeckhamRose

Not a bargain given that the rent will now exceed the value of the motorbike I store in it, and given that most council tenants that rent garages are low waged. So effectively they will become priced out. Garages were originally intended for tenants to rent and some councils still only rent to tenants on the estate where garages are located.

But even a ?24 it's still very cheap compared to market value for equivalent volume space?

And, if there is space available then it would imply that there isn't the demand for them.

There only going to get snapped up by unscrupulous developers sooner or later :(

(DJKQ - How much is the bike you store in it? sure not 1 weeks rent. I presume you mean annual rent?)

Yes annual rent.

They put the rent up 20% two years ago and quite a few people stopped renting them. Most of the garages were build on estates as secure parking for cars/ vehicles owned by tenants and they often sit at the base of a block of flats. There is no option for redevelopment btw so never likely to get in the hands of developers. You still need to prove you own a vehicle to be able to rent one and I suspect the change of policy has a lot to do with Southwarks need to get revenue after the government handed it some of the largest cuts in the country.

Do you think they might be putting the prices up so much so that if they remain empty, they can knock them down and then sell the land they were on to developers? It would be a good excuse to knock them down if they are not used and they are less likely to be used if they price tenants out of the market.

Many council garages are on estates, and take up relatively small amounts of land; certainly not big enough to build more flats on. It is also pointless to compare the price of garages (which store our vehicles which we need and use every day; and no, public transport is not an option for some folk's working lives) with storage spaces.