Travel Insurance Claim

Narnia

I helped the mrs with her claim when she had her bag stolen last Summer in Barcelona. After 6 months we were sent a cheque stating that this related to the letter previously sent (which we never received). I disputed what they paid once I had the details contained in the letter. They have subsequently ignored our letter and an email. Presumably they just want us to go away.

Has anyone had any similar experience to this. If so what did you do? Any advice welcomed.

Perhaps ask them for their complaints procedure. Useless in itself but often a pre-cursor to going to the Ombudsman!

Also, do noit cash the cheque as that is often seen as acceptance of settlement.

I should quantify that I worked in insurance claims between 1989 and 1991. This advice may now be hideously out of date! :(

You MUST ask them for their complaints procedure if you wish to later proceed to the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman Service often takes a dim view of complainants if they attempt to pursue a claim without having first followed the insurer's complaints procedure. Then follow that to the letter. As per ratty, that will usually do the trick. Note: there are time limits involved, so get cracking.

Good Luck.

Sorry - a final point. From what you have said, it is possible that the company in question may deliberately be using delaying tactics due to the time limits involved (of which they will be aware). Put everything in writing (including the fact that you did not receive any correspondence and that they appear to be ignoring you) and send everything by recorded delivery so that you have (a) proof of posting and (b) proof of receipt at the other end.

It is fairly straightforward: albeit timeconsuming and annoying. So do not allow them to put you off.

If not it will be met by immediate rejection and subsequently banked as part payment. They had 6 months to sort this out. When I chased them up in December they had forgotten to get the Spanish police report translated.Or so they said. strange that a cheque should arrive a couple of days later!