Footballers' wages...

Ladymuck

well, maybe VBC, but someone might yet want to say that the wages are not justified. i can't imagine who would want to say such a thing, but maybe when they all get in from the pub later on there might be some of the opinion that the wages of those magnificent men are not justified and i think it would only be fair to let them sound off.

Are the ever-increasing, eye watering amounts of money paid to premiership footballers justified?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Whilst I agree that what they do to actually earn a wage - however largese - isn't a profession that demands a great deal of talent (cue the cavalcade of footie fans jumping to defend their idols). But what you have to bear in mind is that after Murdoch contractually monopolised the viewing of premiership matches, footballers were no longer sportsmen. They became international celebrities with their enviable lifestyles being fueled by the cash Murdoch drowned the game in. This brings me to my point: celebrities trade whatever privacy they once enjoyed for a huge price. They're plastered all over the world's media and their value, talent and contribution to the progress of the team they're signed to is picked apart by indifferent sports columnists. Nearly everything they do is paraded in front of the baying mob, so to speak.

Now, for the purposes of fairness, I'm obliged to note that they'll be aware of this new elevated status, so they do really have themselves to blame if they suffer scorn in tabloids and broadsheets alike. They're the ones putting their heads over the parapet, and essentially doing a deal with the devil. But by putting themselves in this position, they're entitled to demmand more than the minimum wage. Personally speaking, if someone offered me millions of pounds a year to do my job, I'd accept their offer and put ny fingers in my ears whenever discussions such as this arise.

Agreed, but what of the (and I am ashamed to quote this one) Rooney scenario, for example, last year? He plays for my team, but his actions left a really bitter taste in my mouth and I simply find it difficult to have the same respect for him now as I did prior to that incident. The club is already in financial difficulties, and he was hardly on a pittance prior to the wage increase.