This forum is as bad as the South London de-Press

Michael Palaeologus

What Mike said...

The difference between what I experience and what I hear about is quite startling at the moment.. We live in one of THE biggest capital cities in the world so muggings, burglary, shootings etc will happen. I accepted when I moved here it might even happen to me.. so apologies to anyone reading who has experienced anything unfortunate of late

But there seems to be a real glee amongst the media (and a lot of people to be fair) to say "isn't it TERRIBLE about how worse it's getting" - it reminds me of that sketch in Father Ted when the whistle gets stolen and that old dear says to the priest "oh Father tis terrible, the island is going to pot. Next thing you know it'll be murders and crack gangs"

If the media were busy reporting, I don't know.. pit bulls or something lately, we wouldn't all be thinking how much worse things were... I'm not saying it;s perfect out there but some perspective please

I think there is plenty of perspective here. Yes, we do live in a big city and so this stuff will happen - does that mean we shouldn't talk about it? It's far from being all we talk about: just look at all the discussions about the Drum, about curry houses, about the shops on LL.

East Dulwich balances, beautifully in my opinion, what is good and bad about London. Therefore it is right to moan about the bad - guns, crime, dogshit etc and praise the good - my house, the EDT, the Drum, Inside 72 et al.

The South London Press however is only good for Court Round Up - it's amazing how much I find out about my clients through that!

Hi Ant - good point. There is plenty of perspective. And great people on here..

But

Does it mean we "shouldn't talk about it?" The honest answer is "I'm not sure". And here is my take:

If we talk about the Drum or a curry house then it's essentially light-hearted triv. If we start to measure crime stats and proscribe solutions then it becomes a lot more.... not sure what the right phrase is. I am a serious guy. These issues mean as much to me. I have my opinions on them. I wish people would genuinely get more involved in solving local problems. But serious crime (or whatever) is a national issue. Despite what we have read about south-east london it's not unique to us... whereas I would argue that, say, the joys of Blue & Green wine shop are.

The South London Press (not to mention the national newspapers) do a fine job of drumming up fear about crime etc.. but there is no similar outlet for the "good stuff". We can chew the fat about the best curry house, state of dog poo or whatever on here and if nothing much comes of it then no biggie. But regurgitating the same fear o' crime stuff as the SLP just makes it a less attractive (to me anyway) place to visit. Same reason BBC London radio should be my preferred station but to hear all that bile on there everyday is just wrong

If this sounds like I'm STILL saying don't talk about it, I'm sorry. I'm not saying that... It's just..well.. we can do that somewhere else. And if there was anything like a solution being offered it would be interesting ( not simple knee-jerk reactions) but it is usually "here is something else bad that's happened". And yes bad things (mugged, burgled) have happened to me. - in other places in UK (rural Devon, dodgy parts of Swindon) - it's just not very interesting to catalogue them

Phew - got all serious there myself... I'll stop now

In other news:

Jerk Rock chicken is gorgeous, regardless of wait

Cheers is indeed one of the friendliest shops on LL (even if they only ever half have a newspaper for sale)

The Irish Shop is (to my knowledge) unique in South London

Not sure about changes at Liqourish lately

People seriously arguing to keep the dodgy sign and leaking bucket in Chener Books?

If one more person parks in the bus lane at the top of LL to get cash out of the LloydsTSB I will go spare

I don't do supermarkets anymore since the fish and meat places have joined the veg places but if I HAD to have a supermarket of choice then the Somerfield we have got (and not the usual Somerfield) ain't bad...

Green & Blue should be an example to all of us on how to set up a business and engage with locals

How come Sea Cow (top place) re-opened post-fire after a matter of days but the much smaller chicken place next door too months ??

EDT now > EDT 2 years ago. But still can't sort food out

The Dave Drum is Special.

The "old" bit of CPT is miles better than "new bit"

The Castle is grand. The Plough isn't

That Tesco Express on is the coldest place on earth

Summer is coming

Mikewbate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Muggings, shootings, beggars, thieves, hawkers,

> dog poo, litter, dodgy schools, fake currency,

> cloned credit cards .....

>

> For God's sake CHEER UP you miserable bunch of

> ........ miserable people.

>

> I stopped reading the South London Press because

> it was so depressing, this place is going the same

> way!

Compared to 5 years ago, ED has better schools (according to the Ofsted reports), far less litter and graffiti, and I think the crime rate hasn't visibly (to me at least) got better or worse. There are indeed things to be pleased about: More trees are being planted, Dulwich Leisure Centre is getting lots of money invested in it to give it a much needed facelift, Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye Park have both had money from the lottery funds and been spruced up (although both were already pretty nice), and there are lots of other good things too!

OK, consider this: it was talking about a mugging on Landells Road on this forum that led me to contact my local councillor to ask what can be done to improve the street lighting. Seems like a positive outcome to me, albeit limited.

I agree that constant moaning about crime would be a bad thing. I'm just not convinced it's that bad on the forum.

In other news:

People parking to get to Lloyds cashpoint: argh! Selfish gits, they are.

Old CPT: grand.

Never been in the Plough as it just looks so shite. Went in the Castle once and it scared me somewhat.

Well you made me smile Ant

Castle story: There is a picture on the wall in there of a woman who looks about 50/60 sat in front of a pint of Guinness. If you want to know which wall have a look for a woman age 70/80 drinking a pint of Guinness sat right underneath it...

Castle might look scary but it's sweet as in there. usually. Sometime I get a crazy but always had a good time

Zigackly, there's plenty of love from yours truly, from Mockney, from Admin, from Crystal Carrington, from Keef, from Shambles, from Georgia, from Nero, deffo from Quaywe, DM, Batdog, Cap'n, Snorks, OT... even MattC etc. etc. to name but a few (sorry for those I haven't recalled!). Come meet us and find the love!

There was even a lurker's brother who showed the luuurve (you know who you are)...

The Dave. The Sixteenth!

Dear DM

What time do you get up ????

Why don't you make the au pair get up with them ???!!!

I might just might peep in on the 16th-I live in the next street but we are going to a gig (shock) in Brixton (shock)- first one for 2 years so will have to spend several hours in make up................I'm trying to remember if they have chairs at the Academy these days and if they still serve chips........

clare - is that arcade fire?

if you are upstairs (circle tickets), then yes they do have seats. if you have standing stalls downstairs then nope, you lucked oot eh. i'm sure they'll let you upstairs if you smile sweetly - there are always more seats vacant because people head downstairs.

as for chips? huh? is that code for some other Brixton substance?

and yes, off post i know.....

I only read local papers when I go out into the colonies, I just love stories about cats up trees and rude shaped vegetables.

Mike, my advice is avoid any thread written in CAPITALS, besides it's rude to shout.

I think there's great stuff going on in East Dulwich and in the forum, and as Sean rightly points out, summer is just around the corner, hurrah.

I've got to know some great people, virtually like our beloved DM, and in real life, your good self Mike, Mr Administrator (a big thanks by the way, I'm not sure I've taken a moment to say thank you for setting this up and keeping it going) who's also a jolly nice chap, and all those who've come along (and organised, Georgina) to the forum meets, and set up spanish nights and the like.

None of this is about to make headlines in the South London Press, but I think it's all good stuff.

Come on every one, group hug, lets share the love :))

Dear swiders

yes it is arcade fire. Hurrah!!!!

No I really meant chips but I'm mixing my venues- That one in kentish town used to do chips.

Haven't set foot in kentish town for years. It's all here in fab ED.

Share the love as Mr Mockney so rightly says !