Identity Fraud ? Too many KidKrugers.

KidKruger

I have recieved post this week thanking me for opening various credit accounts, catalogue accounts and building society accounts - none of which I'm responsible for requesting.

I even received Next high-heels in a parcel (on credit).

I've called each of the businesses advising there's something going on, this can be a drag because some are 0845 etc nos or Internet only contactable.

Any advice from you experienced and clever folks ? What do I look out for ? Why would someone create accounts or buy things when the correspondence / parcels come to my house ?!

There's only room for one KK around here.

i dont know, but its usually form them seeing some of your personal details- if you leave a bank statement hanging around and someone sees it- you might have to start burning/ shredding personal bits of paper- or like me not leave in a drawer at work where a cleaner saw it and got me to pay their council rent ( a bit daft of them really).

( Hope the shoes fit)

I think when a lot of id fraud is done they have to use your real address to get the accounts open. I think as well for credit card payments the delivery address must match the card holder address. Once done the account address is changed or the ordered items sent to a temp address.

The same thing happened to me a few years back

I reported to the companies in question who marked my file

i also signed up with experian and I now get an alert any time something unusual happens on my credit history - any applications etc so I can verify

It's a bit of a gulp moment when it happens but it's dealable - good luck

[quote name= I even received Next high-heels in a parcel (on credit).]

This is the bit that upsets me the most. High heels from ... Next?

You'd think they'd have the decency to exhibit better taste in footwear. Even if it is acquired by fraudulent means.

PS Good luck, hope you sort it out soon KK.

Are you able to get copies/details of whatever identity and address confirmation data has been presented, documentary or otherwise? That might be helpful in identifying any real information that has been available to the perps, and in maybe indicating some other stable doors to be closed asap.

Last christmas I received letters in the post from various banks thanking me for my account applications, none of which were made by me. Without boring you, i spent ages trying to prevent whoever it was from succeeding in opening accounts, getting credit cards etc. I don't know what they were thinking by putting my address though; to intercept my mail? anyway, I would advise that you tell the police (they were sympathetic) as if somebody does manage to take out credit/a loan the police will have it in the files that you have reported attempted identity theft. also take out CIFAS protective registration. It costs about ?12 for the year and is well worth it. Also suggest that you pay for unlimited access to Equifax. If somebody applies for accounts, cards etc, you need to write to the various banks etc to have it removed from you credit file to keep your credit score good.

Good luck with it, it is an ongoing battle but damn it it's your identity you need to hang on to it!!