Digital multitrack recorder advise

Keef

I want to buy something decent to record some music on to. Would probably only be doing a guitar track or 2, and a vocal track or 2, so in theory a 4 track should be enough, but then I am limiting myself from the start.

Saw this little bit of kit, and it looks good, and well priced, plus I like BOSS gear (well, their guitar effects anyway).

Can anyone who plays with this sort of stuff offer an opinion, or recomend anything different?

I am just thinking that for ?165, you can't really go wrong with that, and I can't justify spending a load right now.

Good thread here on this, Keef. No votes for the Boss (indeed, 'sucks' is mentioned) - but plenty for the Zoom H2/4 - I've used neither, I should say.

However.. If you or TheMissus already own a reasonable laptop..

Your 4-track machine is essentially a small computer with a small screen, limited key functionality, non-upgradeable software - and whatever's leftover (once all that has been paid-for) to go on the Analogue/Digital conversion chip.. which dictates how good everything will sound. And whatever's left-over won't be much.

If you already own a laptop, which is essentially a better computer, with a more usefully-size screen, lots of keys and innovative and upgradeable software options - you can blow your budget on a soundcard which gives you really good sound.

There are indeed 4-track apps on phones which do the job just fine if all you're really looking for is a musical notepad to put some ideas down.. but the sound quality is pretty dire - by any standards - depends on what you need.

The general rule of thumb..

If you are a genius then a mobile phone and an acoustic guitar will make you rich and famous, with beautiful women hurling themselves under the wheels of your Limo in the vain hope that you will spare them a few words and hold their hand until the ambulance arrives.

If, however, you are a jobbing musical schmuck like the rest of us, a million pounds of high-quality recording gear installed in an acoustically-treated soundproofed barn in Sussex will still only enable you to write humdrum drivel.. as you repeatedly excuse your offerings on account of 'not having the right microphone'.

LOL, Spot on *bob*.

I've looked at that thread, and al the things mentioned seem to have pros and cons. I am still liking the BOSS, because every review of it seems to be great, and I'm only after making some recordings for myself really, nothing too professional.

I shall keep looking, but it's like when you're after a new mobile phone, the choices are a bit overwhealming!

Take comfort in the fact that virtually everything you might choose to buy will be absolutely fine and won't stop you from accomplishing anything.

The problem is hardly ever the gear, it's being arsed to actually get on with it and use it.

I speak from personal experience. Quite literally - as I type.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are indeed 4-track apps on phones which do

> the job just fine if all you're really looking for

> is a musical notepad to put some ideas down.. but

> the sound quality is pretty dire - by any

> standards - depends on what you need.

>

>

Soundcloud is supposed to be recorded via the laptop as you suggested above bob and the app is just an option I guess if you are producing some "wicked" stuff and have no laptop handy.

Hi Keef

I've got a Tascam DP004

Tascam Dp004

if you'd like to have a go. It's pretty straight-forward, good for getting stuff down, but only records 2 sepearate tracks at once. It's small - about the size of a paperback book, so very portable.

If you've got the cash get the 8-track one DP008, just for the extra recording/mixing tracks.

All good stuff.

Iain

Sorry can't help you with your current quandary, please keep us informed of what you do purchase as one day(ish) would like a little four track myself.

Reminds me of younger days and the lo fi revolution when we used to use tape to tape on a crappy hi fi for overdubbing, each layer buried under stoner hiss.

There were whole albums recorded and released that were recorded on home cassette tape, the great Daniel Jhnston immediately jumps to mind, and also this little gem from

Good luck!

I am just thinking that for ?165, you can't really go wrong with that, and I can't justify spending a load right now.

Wait until you can afford the thing that you want, you will be much more likely to use it regularly and be happier doing so.

Anything that I have bought hurriedly on the cheap I have regretted and had to upgrade, so be patient and buy exactly what you need, would be my advice.

You also have the possibility of buying secondhand or discounted 'new' but you need time and patience for such a transaction.

Keef - not trawled through all the models on *bob*'s link, but my advice would be to get one with XLR inputs with phantom power, if possible. That will allow you to use it with decent mics, and won't render the thing redundant if you want to start upgrading.

I don't really agree with Bob's laptop suggestion (unless you happen to have a macbook lying around collecting dust). I've tried using PCs for music before, but just found myself constantly re-installing software and drivers to keep the thing running.

My old Akai DPS16 is available for a small price, but it's far from compact, and it's rather dated now.

Tell you what Keef.. if I was you, I'd ask Jez if you could borrow his DPS16 for a trial run. You'll never beat s/h gear from a good home.

It'll absolutely piss all over anything new you're considering, in every respect. Might not be cute and pocketable, but it's not that big. Is portability really a necessity or just an 'ooh, that would be cool?'.

I've got a Yamaha 4 track Cassette recorder too. It's ace! The best thing is it forces you to play all the way through in spite of any errors, because stopping and rewinding etc takes time. downsides are as it's about 10 years old there is some hiss and flutter, but hey it's a 4 track cassette recorder not Pro Tools. If as Beef said you don't mind a lo-fi flavour, then pick one of these up. I think I paid ?40 for mine - make sure you buy the correct tapes though otherwise everything will sound really woolly.

Computer gear is great, but one can spend a lot of time noodling with plugins, effects and instruments rather than recording. Often playing the first 4 bars over and over again until it's perfect. Never finish anything. I like doing everything in one take now, mistakes and all.

Here's some. soundcloud

Off topic, but if anyone wants to form a band playing indie/rock type stuff I'd really like to meet people in ED area.

Again. If you'd like to have a go, get in touch.

Iain

Jeremy, having heard what you recorded of us, I'd be very interested in your old kit. How much would you like for it, and would you give me a quick tutorial?

Know it's not "fit in your pocket" portable, but it could be carried around in a bag couldn't it?

I understand what you're saying about laptop software *bob*, but for me, something that I can carry to a rehearsal studio, or a gig, would be ideal.

Also like the look (and the price) of the Tascam that pr5irs mentions...

Cool. The DPS16 is probably a bit of an overkill for what you need, and it is large... you'd be hard pushed to find a bag it would fit in, and it would probably end up damaged in anything but a flightcase. But let me know if you want to come round some time for a demo.

Hmm, in that case, it probably is more than I'd need, or ever get round to using, but yeah, may well come and pick your brain at some point, as I've never really done any recording. First thing I want to do is just record me on guitar, with a female vocal. Then add some more guitar, and some BVs, so all very simple (he says)...

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

First thing

> I want to do is just record me on guitar, with a

> female vocal. Then add some more guitar, and some

> BVs, so all very simple (he says)...

What could possibly go wrong?! Don't forget the african gospel choir and the brass quintet.

Be interested to know how the condenser mic on that thing handles.. (or are you using microphones?)