Sky - is it worth it?

RosieH

It is the best server around better than Virgin and NTL etc. judging by my past forays into pay tv.

It is reasonable compared to the ?12 pcm for the bbc, if you avoid the sport chanels which are expensive in my opinion.

With HD apparantly 60% do not have the eyesight to determine the improvement,

it's as if someone at Sky turns the brightness settings up for you.

My HD with sky is about ?50 pcm and I can record a series, and store at the press of a button, no tapes etc.

There are large numbers of chanels I do not visit, but the advantage is one can usually find something to watch and since I had it installed I do not watch the 4 usual chanels except for something like Dispatches when I record the series which is easy and convenient.

I can get the chinese, russian, french, and al jazeera news, which makes a change from the usual suspects.

Yes, I'm on Virgin, but a fairly basic TV package (good broadband though). They have some new whizzbang thing coming out, but it looks like it's only going to be catching up to Sky really.

And they don't have the content... I want Blue Bloods, and Boardwalk Empire, and watching 6 Feet Under again.

I don't know if the OFT have cracked-down on it, but when I was a Sky customer, the price I signed-up with (?19.99 a month in 2000) kept gradually increasing without any reasonable justification from Sky's customer support desk, until I finally had enough and cancelled my contract in 2005. It's something I'd advise you to look into, but I agree with fyvum, in that you'll be hard-pressed not to find something on that'll interest you on Sky's many channels.

Scribe, same thing happened to my brother in law to the point they took double months bill. He cancelled direct debit and sky called in debt collectors who would not touch it with a barge pole as they believe sky are the ones acting unfairly. They infact suggested sky pay back monies owed!!!

No

I got rid of it because for ?50 pcm .....

There are large numbers of chanels I did not visit, but the dis-advantage was one could usually find something to mindlessly watch and since I had it installed I did not watch the 4 usual channels ( there just weren't enough hours in the day ) except for something like Dispatches. I recorded the series, ( which then clogged up the memory for months ) it was so easy and convenient.

I could get the chinese, russian, french, and al jazeera news, which made a change from the usual suspects.

( even though I don't actually speak any of these, I enjoyed the white noise I think )

I also regularly sat up, eyes swollen until I passed out, coming to at 4.30 a.m.

It was life enhancing & hey for ?600+ a year, I was worth it.

Nette

:(

(td)

* credit to fyvum

Gina, forgive me if I'm wrong, but what happened to your brother-in-law seems like a case of double-billing by Sky. In my case, they kept gradually increasing the cost by a fraction. They did notify me of the increase by post, but although it was by what seemed like a marginal increase, their reasoning was progressively vague i.e - to cover increasing customer demand. At the time I wasn't really fussed, and I didn't want to miss the re-runs of ITV's The Knock on UKTV Gold (sad, I know). But when I think about it now, I can't help feeling like a complete walkover. Although I'd be lying if I said/wrote that I haven't considered re-submitting myself to Murdoch's consumer cult.

I can understand the need to wrap ?40+/month around your tongue and slide it up Rupe's bottom every month - if you want to watch sport, or do movies on demand..

But if not, just get a PVR or an HD PVR for ?150 or whatever - and playback, record and pause to your hearts content.

Virgin is much better in that you don't need a satellite dish, you can watch one thing and record up to two other things at once (with Sky you can only record one other thing.) Also, it means you're not lining Murdoch's pockets further.

I'd have loved Sky Atlantic but all those shows will be on terrestrial at some point anyway and lots of it is repeats of old shows.

We're happy with BT Vision to be honest.

There's loads of programmes and films you can see in their on-line back catalogue.

They also have films you can watch too, for about ?3 or ?4.

If I could afford to I would get Sky just for Sky Arts, but BT Vision is a very good reliable alternative and does all the tricks Sky does too.

And cheaper! I pay for it in one quarterly bundle with the BT phone bill.

They are not paying me to recommend them, dammit.

Scribe, the deal for my brother in law started at such an such price and each month was rising about ?5 to the point he got a bill for over ?125 in just one month. Sky can get round this by a tiny tiny little line of text in their 'terms and conditions'. Oh loopholes, clauses and small print!

Next for Sky, World domination!

Rosie, we're in the same boat, tempted by the HBO back catalogue. However, we also agree with Jah's point...

Saying that, I give LOVEFILM ?15 a month, and I don't think I've watched or returned a DVD for at least 3 months now, so might be worth cancelling that, and putting it towards Sky...

Then again, who wants to watch footy at home, it's boring.

Jah Lush wrote:- Murdoch is a @#$%&. Don't give him any of your money.

That was the toughest thing to get my head round giving him any of my hard earned,

especially as I have since learned that he is a world class version of J Edgar Hoover who had records of everyone in

the USA, but Rupe has them on everyone who matters in the world.

Being a practical and prudent tight wad, it is the best package for the price.