Euro bank a/c in UK

Narnia

No, not for that reason. My other half is Spanish and sometimes receives funds from Spain which go into our sterling a/c. But she also travels to Europe a fair bit and needs to carry euros. It would be handy to have an account to store euros in.

But given what you require I believe Barclays will allow transfers from euro to current a/c without charges. Check out their website.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What about a euro account with a euro bank? eg

> santander and extract the cash from cash machine

> on arrival in euroland each time its needed. Can

> check balance online etc when in uk / do bank

> trasnfers etc ?

The point was why does it have to be a UK resident account?

ontheedge Wrote:

> Can she not get a Spanish Bank account. I have an

> Irish one and any euros go in there the Irish bank

> are aware my main address in London and theres

> never really enough in it to cause any concerns

> but handy when travelling in Europe

I agree - but I think that point has been made already ;-).

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Mick Mac Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What about a euro account with a euro bank? eg

> > santander and extract the cash from cash

> machine

> > on arrival in euroland each time its needed.

> Can

> > check balance online etc when in uk / do bank

> > trasnfers etc ?

>

> The point was why does it have to be a UK resident

> account?

Oh, I see. It could be an account in Europe. Don't know what the degree of difficulty is for opening one there if you are not a resident though. Something to find out.

First Direct do one but you may need an existing current account with them too. I investigated when I was doing some work outside the UK but stuck with being paid direct into my sterling account in the end. I think if you use the First Direct rather than HSBC sort code for the transfer you get a slightly better conversion rate to sterling. They'll give you a straightforward explanation if you give their foreign desk a call; they're good like that.

Depending on who the money is coming from and the amounts, might a FairFX card be another possibility? Works like a pre-loaded card. I have these in Euros and US$ and advantages are that you can upload money online quickly + no loading fee when you use it like a debit card and only a smallish flat fee for withdrawing cash.

I second Ms B with the Fairfx card. Got one after it was recommended to me by friends and online and you can load it up to a certain amount of money in either Euro or Dollar (or even a mixed version). If you apply for it via moneysavingexpert there is no fee to get it and it is set up and working within a week.