Jordan

louisiana

Has anyone travelled to Jordan recently?

I know it's looking very slightly dubious at the moment (protests, new government...). But am planning to go later this year (for non-tourist reasons; some Amman but mostly remote areas) and haven't travelled to the ME for quite a while.

Good idea or not? Nuanced views appreciated.

Definitely not what you suggest, quids.

Seriously, going on my own, except I had a very long chat with a lovely young man called Dan yesterday at the Royal Geographical Society, and we are both ex-students of Patrick Whitefield and we are both going. Independently-like.

Jordan in September should be fabulous. And f*** it, I've been in guerilla-war-tanks-army scenarios in my life, and I think I can deal with *things* that may happen. I'm not some kind of scaredy-cat. (But maybe I'm just getting a little old and so on.) And there are interesting things happening in the ME and I haven't been for a long time.

I went with my partner over Xmas, and its one of the most amazing countries I have seen. We went to Amman, the Dead Sea, Petra and Aqaba - around 30 degrees in December was quite nice.

There obviously wasnt any trouble then - but cant say what thats like now. When we were there, I felt safer than I do in London - the place is very liberal and despite having a population that is over 90% Muslim, they celebrated Xmas and made Westerners feel very much at home - they create alot of mutual respect across race, religion and culture. I have also been to India and Morocco recently - and expected Jordan to be similarly "in your face", but there was no pestering at all and I was pleasantly surprised.

In Aqaba - you can look at Saudi Arabia, Israel and Egypt ... Jordan sits between some quite volatile countries, however is one of the most peaceful places I have visited.

I would definitely recommend it ...

Not been to Jordan, but went to Syria last year for a fortnight and would definitely go back. I understand that things might be different mood-wise since the Tunisian, Egyptian etc uprisings, but given that expected protests never materialised I get the impression that the place is much less 'tinder-box' than some people would think or might want (if you are a international news network, I mean!) Tourists in Lebanon, too, are well catered for and at the very, very least tolerated, though more often they are welcomed and left to their own devices. Now that easyJet flies to Jordan I expect more Brits to go there.

I've been but it was in 1988/9 so not sure how relevant to now but we were two women (mum & me) travelling alone and we had some funny experiences but no real problems. It was an experience that's for sure. Lots to see and probably a bit more accommodating now than then. I reckon that it is still a great place to visit and especially so at this possible historical time for the middle east.