bringing pets into the office

squeeker

This may be a boring subject for a lot of you, but I'm curious as to what people think...

I've been wanting to get a dog for the last few years but unable to due to my last job. Now that I'm temping and looking for other permanent work, I'm trying to find somewhere that would be flexible in bringing my soon-to-be-adopted dog! Surely some companies would allow you to have a pet in the workplace?

Does anyone have a view on this?

Well I'm looking at creative agencies and the majority of these kind of media companies have a pretty laid back feel to them, so I don't see why having a dog there would be a massive problem. Of course there's the issue of other people's allergies etc, but also studies have proved that dogs are a massive destress for us all- have a look at this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/jobs/2009/09/10/how-a-dog-in-the-workplace-can-help-lower-stress-levels-115875-21660763/

That's all very well but I can't see the Daily Mirror encouraging its staff to bring their pets in. It might work in a small office, and it would depend on the dog too. I'm not sure your colleagues would be so stress free if you were to let your pitbull or rottweiler roam around the office while they are trying to work.

my old boss (senior director of a very large company) used to bring his dog in on occasion and I took mine to work between Christmas and New Year.

Ive a couple of friends who take theirs daily. Provided the dog is well behaved, most just sit under your desk then it's no hassle at all. Really depends on your boss and the company concerned.

Having both a dog and a child I can categorically say theree is no comparison to bringing children to work........ children (unless much older ie teens on work experience) are disruptive to an office!

I think its a great idea, having known people in the past who have done this, it has had a good effect on the whole, of course, as someone said the size of the office etc would have to be taken into consideration, if I were a boss, I would welcome it. Great to have your best friend at work, walk in the lunchtime, company for the dog, lovely :)) but of course, not eveyone are dog lovers.

I've worked with lots of creative agencies who've had a dog. It's nice.

But the difference to the scenario you suggest squeeker is that it's either been the office dog, or the boss's dog. There hasn't been a "bring your pets to work" policy, and rightly so. One dog: cute. Everyone bringing in their pet: a cacophonous menagerie.

You can try to sell it to your potential bosses, but I wouldn't count on it.

My dog comes to work with me every day, sleeps quietly under my desk for most of the day and doesn't bother anyone. And he forces me to go out for a walk at lunchtime, which I'm sure is a boon to my productivity. There are two other dogs who come in as well, though in a different part of the office. No fighting, barking or interrupting other people's work.

I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about whether it would work or not, it depends on the dog and the office environment. And there is a period of adjustment too, so you can't make a quick decision based on how the first few days go. People make assumptions about how dogs will misbehave\disrupt but have little experience of the situation. Unless the dogs are puppies, most will sleep/nap most of the day anyway.