DMC Chadwick Road - failure to relay abnormal test results

The Minkey

I got some bloods done on Jan 14th. I called the surgery after a week to be told the results weren't back. I called them the following week to be told they still weren't back, at which point I quipped 'let's hope there's nothing wrong then' and was told that if the bloods showed a problem, the hospital usually returned them in a couple of days. I called one more time to be told the doctor now had them and that I would be called if there was an issue. She took my mobile number so I thought I'd get a phone call. As it happens, I made an appointment the same time about something else for which I had to wait a couple of weeks. I wasn't called back about my blood results so assumed all was fine. Finally, last Tuesday I went to my appointment and it was only as I stood up to leave that I remembered to ask about the bloods. My thyroid levels were in the hyperthyroid range, most likely due to over medication.

The doctor asked if I'd had a letter. No I hadn't, I'd heard nothing from them. Instead, I'd continued to over-medicate unawares a further 5 weeks so god knows what my thyroid levels were at the time I was sitting there face to face with her. As far as I can see, had I not asked about the results at that appointment, I'd still be none the wiser and thinking I was going nuts. Surely this isn't acceptable and they had a duty to inform me sooner?

I think you're right to feel let down and want an explanation; that must have been a worrying situation for you.

If you haven't tried it already, perhaps you could speak to the practice manager to let them know that you're not happy with this and see how they respond? If you get the brush-off, you could send a letter asking them to account for the situation.

Hi Ian - the GP simply asked whether I'd had a letter. When I said no I hadn't, I'm sure she said 'that's bad'. Hell, there was nothing in my notes to alert the GP. I already had a repeat prescription for the medication in my hand which she took back off me once I asked her for the results and she noticed what they said. There was nothing on my mobile either. I just can't believe they can have been so lax.

Tactful comment...

Their process failed them in this case as there were clearly several points where it could have been picked up.

So perhaps that should read: 'Some doctors are occasionally negligent and as a result patients sue them, costing the NHS and hence the tax-payer ridiculous amounts of money'.

Thanks, Mrs B - I do intend to discuss with the Practise Manager as there's evidently a gaping hole in their process which shouldn't be too hard to sort out. However, I'm trying to avoid stressy situations until my feet are back on the ground. Adrenaline, as I found to my cost last week, really seems to escalate the hyper symptoms. As does caffeine - you'd have thought the doctor could have mentioned that one.. But no.

Hi PR: Well, I'm sure I will be alright. I've been rather enjoying having normal energy levels to be honest and being able to do things again. If it weren't for a racing heart, migraines, eye problems and wierdly aching muscles, I'd be happy to keep things at this level - lol..! I think it should all be reversible once the thyroid levels come back down.

I am seriously considering a change of doctor, I know you rate Nunhead Surgery highly and I considered changing a few times before this happened. However, wherever I go needs to be reasonably easy to get to by public transport as I can't always walk far. Chadwick Road was less than ideal from that perspective. I'll check out Nunhead Grove on the map - I don't want to have to be dependent on the unreliable P12 to get me to appts on time..

Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke to the Practise Manager to explain what had happened. She said she'd investigate and apologised for the 'anxiety and stress' this must have caused, which annoyed me so I told her that my concern is whether the heart and muscle issues are going to be reversible or not compared to which anxiety and stress is neither here nor there. Assuming all will be well with me, someone else might not be so fortunate and they really need to plug the hole in their processes which allowed this situation to occur in the first place. I've asked for the results of the investigation in writing. I'm quite good at analysing processes so I'm very interested to see what they have to say.