People who work in Advertising

huncamunca

There's a distinct divide: between 'the ones over a certain age' - who tend to recognise the futility of their chosen profession on just about every level other than getting paid and - instead - count their lucky stars that they've managed to spend the last decade or three being paid to scribble around with fluorescent pens, go on occasional shoots to paradise, do long lunches, get free stuff and play lego and table football for three hours of an afternoon..

.. and 'the ones under a certain age' who'll tell you that their yoghurt commercial is sure to be a real gamechanger for the industry - as they flop around on an Aeron chair with low-slung jeans and wearing glasses without lenses.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a distinct divide: between 'the ones over

> a certain age' - who tend to recognise the

> futility of their chosen profession on just about

> every level other than getting paid and - instead

> - count their lucky stars that they've managed to

> spend the last decade or three being paid to

> scribble around with fluorescent pens, go on

> occasional shoots to paradise, do long lunches,

> get free stuff and play lego and table football

> for three hours of an afternoon..

>

> .. and 'the ones under a certain age' who'll tell

> you that their yoghurt commercial is sure to be a

> real gamechanger for the industry - as they flop

> around on an Aeron chair with low-slung jeans and

> wearing glasses without lenses.

This ^^^^ is good answer & contains a selection of observation, satire & comment.

8/10

Right, anyone who isn't a member of the emergency services or a teacher can fuck off. You're a fucking parasite, leaching off decent people. So just fuck off the lot of you. Estate agents? Scum. Bankers? Scum. Shopkeepers? Capitalist scum? Bus drivers? Destroying the environment scum.

The sooner we all realise that our existence on this planet is completely fleeting and largely futile and the best we can hope is that we didn't make it any worse by mere dint of our presence, the sooner we can all get on with not being so c*ntish and judgmental.

However, to chime with *bob*'s point, I have noticed that advertising creatives always manage to come up with a sunny idea when it's pissing down outside, necessitating a month-long shoot somewhere in the southern hemisphere. Nice work if you can get it.

And DC, yeah, you know it. But do you know what I'd say to Bill Hicks, who was incidentally, funny as hell but not the demi-god he's made out to be? What about people who are marketing charities trying to cure motherf*cking cancer you fucking righteous son of a bitch. And you're happy to smoke the cigarettes of people who are peddling cancer to third world countries. And I bet you drink baby milk and eat kitkats, so take your "people in marketing kill yourselves" and shove it up your arse.

And then do you know what I'd do? Probably swear a bit more. Feels good.

"Right, anyone who isn't a member of the emergency services or a teacher can @#$%& off. You're a @#$%& parasite, leaching off decent people. So just @#$%& off the lot of you. Estate agents? Scum. Bankers? Scum. Shopkeepers? Capitalist scum? Bus drivers? Destroying the environment scum."

you're familiar with snorky then. Is that sentence a pr?cis of his entire output on the forum* by any chance?

talking of pointless I'm glad the mash has finally turned its sights on that zenith of bolloxocity, Formula 1.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/formula-one-is-rubbish%2c-admits-ecclestone-201103013589/

*whereas his BITE reviews canon is a work of genius.

Bill Hicks..? Was he really 'funny as hell'?.. not sure.

Great stage act, engrossing and humorous - but I don't remember creasing-up with belly laugh upon belly laugh.

Half the people that scream with laughter at his every word are just trying to show how, like, they really really get it. Like people who explode with shrieks of overstated laughter at the theatre.

Actually Snorks, "The sooner we all realise that our existence on this planet is completely fleeting and largely futile and the best we can hope is that we didn't make it any worse by mere dint of our presence, the sooner we can all get on with not being so c*ntish and judgmental" is pretty much spot on.

'Advertising' is a big industry. Creatives caricatured by *Bob* are probably only 5% of the labour in the industry, and the Hoxton-twat caricature probably only vaguely applies to 1 in 10 of them.

It doesn't help that 'Apprentice' candidates behave in this way when doing the advertising episodes, but no-one says that sausage manufacturers are stupid because the Apprentice candidates are etc.

It's very unreliable profession, most people in the creative area will work for intern salaries for several years doing 14 hour days before getting a proper break. Even if they own their own company, contracts are performance driven, so if 'ads don't work' as Snorky claims, they soon lose their jobs.

Snorky's come out with this whining scab-scratcher of an issue before, so it clearly annoys him.

Can't be bothered to get dragged into a silly debate, but have various bits of info if anyone would really like to get involved with the profession. Hard work, and little gratitude though ;-)

I went to one agency some time back.. one of the Saatchis I think.. and half the people on one floor were whizzing up and down the wide corridors between offices on micro scooters.

Greys used to have bulbs in the lift that changed colour when you reached a particular (colour coded) floor.

It was impossible to get out of any half-hour meeting without hearing the words 'edgy' and 'organic' at least seven times.

I say no more.

I say to you "synergy".

And we used to have microscooters in our (PR) office, but in fairness it was a very long walk from my desk to the meeting rooms. And it was fun, because if you mustered enough speed, you could take someone out as they stepped into your path from the "ethical" department.