Too many muggings - what can we do! (Lounged)

cheryla

Hi

I just wanted to say how distressing it is to hear of so many muggings over the past weeks - a lot of which are what you would perceive to be at safe times of the day to walk the streets.

As a 31 year old woman I now find myself nervous walking home from the station ? even walking my dog in Dulwich park!

Is there anywhere safe anymore ? what can we do?

I dont want to say it but whithout my husband I do feel vunarable going out and about incase I get mugged and I can imagine some elderly/younger people feel the same.

cheryla these low level crimes go on all the time. Only their perception has recently been heightened on this forum. The streets of ED are as safe/dangerous as they ever were. Just be alert and dont walk like a victim. You'll be fine.

I honestly think they're just being reported on the forum more.

I was thinking about this last night and whilst it is awful for this to happen to a person I can't help wondering what the point is of reporting on the forum. especially as the descriptions of the people are little more than their age and ethnicity. I think in the end it's just scaring people. We all know these things happen but we just have to try and use our instincts and common sense rather than allow the reportings to make us scared and nervous to get on with our lives.

I think really the only people that these crimes should be reported to are the police.

"these low level crimes go on all the time"

I don't think that's right. I know from experience that you can get a significant spike in muggings and burglarys in areas, usually a result of a few people targeting an area. There's a prima facie case that this is what's happening here. The Police will have a view on this, based on the levels of reported crime in certain areas, and if they concur will be targeting the hot areas for surveilance.

"I can't help wondering what the point is of reporting on the forum"

Well it is most important that crime is reported to the Police of course. But surely anything that heightens people's awareness of where there might be a spike in an area of a certain type of activity is a good thing (largely).

Anyway, sympathy to all those affected.

I never get my phone out in public if I'm out on my own with my daughter. Of mugginngs I've witnessed/heard about in the last few years most people have been talking on the phone, carrying a recognizable laptop bag or such. People you can tell straight off that they are carrying valuables, these are most likely victims. I've had numerous phones stolen in the past purely because they were the best model on the market at the time. Its a sad world out there. Crime is not the way out but its made too easy for some.

Its a shame though, I love my handbags but feel paranoid using one now. Stick to pockets, come summer thats no good.

How about having one single thread on muggings so that those who are interested can take steps to avoid riskier roads (end of Oglander, Melbourne Grove, Whateley Road, Barry Road etc) without making it out to be a bigger problem than it is?

My ssympathy to anyone who has been a victim of crime in this, and other, areas, and whether or not reported on the Forum. Crimes should be reported to the police. If you are the victim of a crime and want to tell your friends, ring them up and get some sympathy from them.

More crimes in general in ED or just more reported on here? We can't know and as a result I also wonder what benefit it is to post them on here.

I personally think it is a good idea to post muggings etc on here - I'd rather know about them and take precautions than walk around blissfully ignorant chatting on my brand new phone that would make me a target to criminals. Also think in some cases it can help with police investigations - for example as a result of my post about my burglary the other day, someone has contacted me with some useful information which we have now passed on to the police.

I think there is a benefit. For instance, as a personal example, I am beginning to let my 10 year old walk to and from school. There a few of us here that are not london born and bred, and it is good to know the goings on as it helps keep us sensible. These postings have motivated me to explain how to have some street smarts to my son. I wouldn't have addressed phone theft, etc with a ten year old ordinarily. He does not have a phone, but, wants one. From the postings on this forum I have been made to face the realities that one can perhaps be blind to otherwise (esp. if you did not grow up here), and, guide my son accordingly. It is heartbreaking to burst the bubble of innocent childhood loveliness with tales of no-gooders but, alas, it is necessary.

Every mugging is a mini horror story of long term fear and intimidation.

The increasing incidence of highly valuable smartphones after a long period of mobile phones becoming less valuable is the prime cause. Highly portable expensive items. Rash of such crime when mobile phone were originally expensive and had just become popular.

Even TV ads telling people how valuable 2nd hand phones are.

bloonoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I personally think it is a good idea to post

> muggings etc on here - I'd rather know about them

> and take precautions than walk around blissfully

> ignorant chatting on my brand new phone that would

> make me a target to criminals. Also think in some

> cases it can help with police investigations - for

> example as a result of my post about my burglary

> the other day, someone has contacted me with some

> useful information which we have now passed on to

> the police.

It's a bit of a two-edged sword. There are some good sides in raising awareness, etc, but I'd be concerned if people started to get unnecessarily fearful that people like Cheryla 'don't feel safe any more' and it started affecting their going-out habits.

ED is still a pretty safe place, London-wise, but bad things do sometimes happen. Just use a bit of common sense and minimise the risk.

Actually I think muggings are not common in central london because there are cameras everywhere. I used to live in central london and when muggings like the ones mentioned happened the perpetrators were caught because of the cameras everywhere. The long term effect has seen that some central london areas are not quite safe at night. My friends and I would quite happily go out all night and walk home because there were cameras everywhere and more so police at the end of them that came out if there was trouble.

ED sounds like it could at least do with some more police presence at the moment.

Is that the official government line Mr Barber, that the uptick in muggings is due to individuals parading their new smartphones? Has it nothing to do with the pernicious social and economic policies the Tory-led government is pursuing?

Tough being in government isn't it Mr Barber?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Every mugging is a mini horror story of long term

> fear and intimidation.

>

> The increasing incidence of highly valuable

> smartphones after a long period of mobile phones

> becoming less valuable is the prime cause. Highly

> portable expensive items. Rash of such crime when

> mobile phone were originally expensive and had

> just become popular.

>

> Even TV ads telling people how valuable 2nd hand

> phones are.

It used to be the latest car stereos that teenagers targetted....now it's mobiles phones. The point is that there will always be some high value 'must have' gadget around with a ready market in stolen goods. I still think that the best way to protect yourself is by way of common sense. Don't parade valuables (and leave them at home is possible). 99% of thieves and burglars are opportunist and look for easy victims. It's always been that way irregardless of the number of thieves at large.

LozzyLoz: "these low level crimes go on all the time"

Hmm. I'd consider graffiti or dropping litter as a low-level crime, not having your bag/phone/wallet snatched from you, probably with menacing threats, possibly with weapons. I'd call that violent crime.

And blaming Tory cuts is just too convenient. The perpetrators of these crimes have spent the most influential years of their lives with the other lot in charge.

edited for syntax

For the record I'm not blaming Tory cuts alone. For fear of getting lynched, I'd like to repeat the mantra of a young Tony Blair. The best solution is to be "tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime."

Blaming smartphones for any pickup in muggings (evidence?) is no answer.

Not James finest comment for sure.......thieves will always find some thing to nick. Obviously high levels of youth unemployment and higher than acceptable levels of illiteracy amongst school leavers is definitely something that is letting far too many young people down (and government/ business and parents all have a role in playing to correct that) but to then use that to reason for the few (and they are a few) who take it on themselves to rob (be it aggravated or not) is a bit much.

Having said that, for some of those without hope, it may be easier to turn to crime than to look for more constructive ways to make a living or occupy their time...not helped of course by the soft attitude by the judicial system to those that get caught.

Build more prisons, fill them with muggers.

I noticed the stats on Knife crime and possession has dropped since the sentences stiffened,

Football hooliganism was virtually haulted overnight when poeple started getting 5 year sentences for it rather than sociologists blaming it on unemplyment

Apparently...prison doesn't work though as having a big prison population is somehow wrong in the topsy turvey world of liberalism. Comparing crime RATES we actually imprison less per crime than most other european countries. More scummers off the street safer and nicer alround for the majority of us including the honest majority from deprived communities and backgrounds who actually face the brunt of crime far more than us good burghers of SE22.

I cannot believe some of these posts. I have suffered mental health most of my life yet still managed to bring up a child alone in, so called, poverty. My som went without many things in life and also had to look after me. He never, ever turned to crime or a gang. He now has a very good job, is a father and a good one at that, never complained and just got on with his life. He has never bemoaned the fact that he didn't have the latest phone, computer, trainers, etc. etc. Poverty and hardship do not make criminals, in my view parents have a lot to do with this. Throughout my illness my own parents have often had to take over the care of my son and woe beditide anyone who does not respect authority in front of my parents. Maybe that is the answer, grandparents are estranged many times from our kids lives. They have a lot to offer and many have good advice to give and also so much love and time.

Zeban posted

I honestly think they're just being reported on the forum more.

Zeban I am genuinely interested as to why you think people might suddenly be posting more about being mugged, whereas formerly they would have kept stum? I am open to persuasion on this, but my instinct (no evidence to back it) is that people would generally always have posted on the forum if they had been mugged. It's a fairly major thing to happen in the course of one's day, and is something many would want to share- I would think?