Porridge

Proxima Centauri

Not the comedy starring Ronnie Barker, but a bowl of that warming, comforting, filling and healthy stuff sometimes referred to as "the backbone of many a sturdy Scotsman". I love it, especially when low on funds when I happily consume it for dinner as well as breakfast.

My favourite way of eating is with milk, raisins and maple syrup. Really good.

Do you like porridge? And, if so, how do you eat it?

My partner is not so keen - says it's akin to prison food:-S.

Scottish coarse oatmeal cooked the night before is best. With salt and a little honey (tu)

PS (ahem, whistles and looks innocent) I forgot about the (La Perruche) brown sugar cubes that are thrown into the mix too...I don't like milk so I use semi-skimmed (as that's not really milk, is it?)

Baby Bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table, he looks into his small bowl. It is empty.

"Who's been eating my porridge?!!", he squeaks.

Papa Bear arrives at the big table and sits in his big chair. He looks into his big bowl, and it is also empty.

"Who's been eating my porridge?!!," he roars.

Momma Bear puts her head through the serving hatch from the kitchen and yells, "For Christ's sake, how many times do we have to go through this with you idiots?

It was Momma Bear who got up first, it was Momma Bear who woke everyone in the house, it was Momma Bear who made the coffee, it was Momma Bear who unloaded the dishwasher from last night, and put everything away, it was Momma Bear who went out in the cold early morning air to fetch the newspaper, it was Momma Bear who set the damn table, it was Momma Bear who put the friggin' cat out, cleaned the litter box, and filled the cat's water and food dish, and, now that you've decided to drag your sorry bear-asses downstairs, and grace Momma Bear's kitchen with your grumpy presence, listen good, cause I'm only going to say this one more time:

"I HAVEN'T MADE THE FU*#*&NG PORRIDGE YET !!

Never had porridge till about two weeks ago as found the stringy appearance off-putting; now enjoying it every day.

Whole rolled oats with water, add chopped prunes and/or apricots when it's simmering, serve with a little honey poured into a dent you have carefully made right in the middle. No milk or salt.

Once or twice I've made it with muesli but not sure if that counts. Was nice though.

I've always made it the way my Scottish Nana did... coarse oats, soaked overnight with a dash of salt (although I microwave it, have childhood memories of having to wash the pot she used). I mix a bit of milk in once it's cooked, sprinkle with brown sugar. Yum.

My kids love it soaked overnight in apple/mango juice, with raisins. Weirdly they call it robot porridge :-S

definately cooked with milk and a sprinkle of sugar! Elsabel likes it cooked till it goes quite firm when it cools, then rolled into little balls so she can pick them up with her fingers!

just had some and ready for the day!

Hugs

Yummmm - my favourite too, and now the whole family is hooked. Definitely soaked the night before (but in milk), then with chopped dates (already chopped from Sainsbo's), honey and/or cinnamon. And we get the food doctor oats which has some other bits in like Quinoa (good for girlies), linseed etc..

I cook up a huge bowl which gets shared amongst all, first thing. I've learned not to get dressed before it's eaten. The number of times I've been unwittingly smeared with gooey oats from a 14 month old's fingers while dressed in freshly ironed office gear...sigh...so professional.

x1 cup of poridge

x1 cup of milk

x1/2 cup of water

x1 chopped banana

x1 Tbsp of raisins

a few almonds and walnuts

sprinkle on a bit of ground cinnamon, ground coriander, turmeric and nutmeg.

Cook on the hob for 5 minutes or so

pour into a bowl add a little bit more milk, a wee bit of sugar or honey.

absolutely gorgeous!