Hope & Greenwood on BBC London 94.9 fm

Annette Curtain

katie1997 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well....what did they say Nette?

1. Most Scottish people have rotten teeth because of the sugar boilers of Glas'gie.

2. If you like cheap chocolate, you're common.

3. Buy more sweets, we need the dosh.

4. Don't leave your child with a hot kettle.

I think that just about covers it.

Nette:)

I was in there a while back and the lady in front of me asked for a bag of magic mushrooms. Cue lots of giggling and red face. I think she must have meant coconut mushrooms.

I said, if you've got some I'll have a bag full as well

I went into H&G recently and asked about ingredients in the boiled sweets (the ones in the big jars) and they didn't know. They offered to make a phone call to find out, which was nice, but the answer I got in the end was that they're made in a factory somewhere and bought in and they don't know the ingredients. It gave me the impression that H&G is just about the pretty packaging, which can't be right as I'm sure the additive-conscious folk of ED wouldn't be buying them for their little ones in that case.

Does anyone know - can they really just be buying in from some big industrial supplier or did I just get the wrong answer? Would love to know as I really fancy some rhubarb and custards.

Clearly I was naive but, yes, I thought they either did make them themselves and/or source from small, independent manufacturers who use traditional recipes without all the modern gunk! Oh dear. Will have to go to Waitrose (the supermarket that dare not speak its name on this forum) and get them there.

It markets itself as a traditional sweetshop, so it's not outrageous to expect traditional recipes and ingredients.

And as I'm (arguably) already fat and I've given up chocolate for Lent it's what you might call a lesser evil.

Ideally, but these days might well include something called glucose-fructose syrup, which is implicated in some health problems, plus various artificial colours/preservatives/flavourings etc.

I do think they make some of the sweets themselves, but there's no way they'd be able to make them all. Surely all the "classics" (flying saucers, cola bottles, rhubarb & custard, etc) come from the standard suppliers.

Who cares about the additives, as long as you eat them in moderation? Sweets are not supposed to be healthy.