Kitchen design splashback tiles

Alan Dale

The guy who is designing and fitting our kitchen reckons that those little brick shaped kitchen tiles are naff:

http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/ranges.php?rid=585&t=Tile&cid=16

I thought they were too trendy and would quickly date the kitchen. He reckons it's gone way past that.

So what should we use for our splashback bit?

nb this is a design based discussion not a wanted ad so please don't move the post

Go for big tiles, I went for ones that are 300mm wide x 600mm high. The main advantage is there's not much grout to get all that cooking dirt and grease into so it's easy to keep the splash back clean. The gap between the kitchen surface and the bottom of the wall cupboards is usually about 600mm so should fit in nicely.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ta-daaaaar!

>

> http://www.opticolour.co.uk/kitchens_with_opticolo

> ur_coloured_glass_splashbacks_installed.html

Our man said glass *Bob* and I thought it was weird. Seems you know your onions.

The rest of the kitchen is a mess. It will be plain white units with integrated handles, dark wood tops, plain black slate rectangular floor tiles, chrome range cooker and hood, chrome coloured fridge, white ceramic sink.

Any obvious errors in there?

The rest of the kitchen is a mess. It will be plain white units with integrated handles, dark wood tops, plain black slate rectangular floor tiles, chrome range cooker and hood, chrome coloured fridge, white ceramic sink.

A butler's sink by any chance? No self respecting kitchen is without one these days.

I like kitchens which are a bit of a mess. I can't stand stand uber-matching fitted kitchens. A hotchpotch is much nicer.

Yeah.. I'd get a bit of glass. The colour you choose would depend on how brave you're feeling / how drunk you are when you place the order.

Moroccan tiles are pretty cool ? either a geometric mosaic or a carved pattern ? zellige it's called. Don't know where you'd get it done in London, but you could ask in the Chandelier ? whatever you think of the ?11 sandwich, they do have some nice tiles.

Or get some cool wallpaper and cover it with glass as has already been suggested.

Thanks for all the input. You are in danger of putting my design guy out of business.

I am intersted in this glass splashback but it'll have to be clear or only slightly tinted. I reckon the more fashionable and lurid colours and wallpaper offer potential banana skins for the less design savvy amongst us.

I want it to be safe and enduring. I can even handle dull as long as it's got longevity.

Apparently wall cupboards are a mistake now. Heard that? Seems we have to halve our storage for the sake of the aesthetic. This is eye opening stuff.

These are the most likely cupboard fronts. Couldn't get completely integrated handles without a wait and a premium...

http://www.magnet.co.uk/default.asp?idcode=google+Magnet

Edit link doesnt work. It only gets you to the main page. They are called stuido white, in the contemporary collection. Contemporary worries me a little. Reminds me of my black fake teak bedroom furniture I had when I was fourteen.

Be honest- what do you think?

Alan, before you commit, check out IKEA's Abstract range. Virtually the same but cheaper, plus you can mix in glass/brushed steel cabinets to break up the wall of white. I put in a glass wall (sage green) which cost around ?750 to supply and fit 3.5m x 80cm. Much easier to maintain and clean around cooker and food prep areas. It is quite pricey so used tiles on the other walls.

The long horizontal handles look rather school kitchen industrial to me. I'd agree about the Ikea range, the Faktum carcasses are standard size (now with 25 year guarantee I see) so most other companies doors will fit them anyway if you decide to change them a few years down the line.

I think Alan has already committed.

It's a 'current' design. It looks just fine. It'll tire long before you tire of it.

IKEA are the masters at bringing-in current design well before the rest of the factory retailers follow suit, but the build quality is truly pants - like 85% of modern furniture - only 500% worse.

Fake black teak bedroom. Oh dear. I have to hold my hand up to that as well. I had the 'dream ticket'.. black units and duvet covet with grey/white/red asymetrical striping.

Comes down to budget at the end of the day. IKEA though not premium, the carcasses and fronts are absolutely fine and allows one to buy quality accessories, decor and appliances etc. On a budget of ?15k for a medium sized kitchen an IKEA kitchen (carcasses and fronts) will cost around ?1,200 leaving loads for the good stuff. I think Magnet are well over priced and my neighbour is still waiting 4 months down the line for Magnet to complete their kitchen.

Great stuff I am a bit of a design philistine so I appreciate the support.

I appreciate the IKEA tips but I'm afraid that we are constrained to Magnet due to a relationship between our guy and them. They will not be involved in installation etc and are only providing the cupboards.

What about slate floor tiles. Is that a bit too now and likely to date or is it an enduring finish?

My girlfirend accepts my stance regarding personalisation and resale but is hoping to trendy it up with a 50s (or70s I can't tell)stand alone kitchen unit out of her dad's garage. I'm not sure but at least we can easily take it away once she tires of it. Is she on the money or off the mark?

When I bought my last flat, the agent dismissed the kitchen. Of course, you'll have to rip it out.. it's reflected in the price blah blah. The units were 1950s, kinda home-made. Well made. Interesting. Great.

A lick of paint, a new cooker, a bit of imagination with the paint and lights and a nice fridge later, it was done. The couple that bought the flat pissed their pants over it.