They must be the same person....

????

Deactivation or the "red words of death" is the EDF equivalent of topping yourself without leaving a note. Sean's reasons I completely understand but the others following him in the huff is a wee bit daft. Why not just stop posting?

Maybe they got tired of all the multiple personalities and red herring threads? I joined about three years ago and found it a bit off-putting then and stopped for a couple of years but it seems worse now.

Ms B Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe they got tired of all the multiple

> personalities and red herring threads? I joined

> about three years ago and found it a bit

> off-putting then and stopped for a couple of years

> but it seems worse now.

I was wondering where you'd been.

Easy to spot but no less a PITA, they sucked they joy out of it for me (especially on the moderation front); like constantly having to tell off a naughty child, but without any of the childish charm obviously.

Is it an addiction? Maaaaaybe.

I'd put it in the habit bracket rather than addiction, though obviously there is some overlap in the definitions.

I'm finding it hard to stop looking even though the reason I'm trying to stop is that there's very little of interest or entertainment anymore.

But those gaps in the day when you're having a cup of tea or just need to defocus brain from data and code are still there. The BBC news is a bit dull (you can skate through the lot in about 5 minutes). Social networks are blocked. I've google reader and about 60 feeds on it, but the politics ones are the only viable one. Computer gaming, comics, music etc tend to get frowned upon if they appear on your screen. Cricket World cup helps at the moment.

But it's the conversational element that pulls you in and there's so little actual discourse anymore and I think that's what's driven most away. I'll get a pang if I see quids, brendan or honaloochie posting, but they're the only one's left bravely plugging away, at least for the older posters, and perhaps most of them (ok, us) just can't be arsed to engage with new ones, especially when much of it is stuff we've seen go through the mill at least 20 times already, and the rest are frankly rather dull as much as the humour has drained away too.

It has become a curtain twitching, crime reporting local forum in the true sense, gone are the days when it was a small cozy place of like minded peeps, it was no coincidence it was called the lounge. It might as well be called 'ask stupid questions that you'd be better off googling' now.

As for deactivations, I think Ladymuck's just having a massive huff, Narnia maybe finally just got bored. I also think the football thread has a bigger negative impact than any other for those who partook, and I'm sure did for keef in the end.

Aaaaaanyway, no flounce or deactivation from me and almost certainly no 10k, just a quiet adieu ... unless of course it isn't.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ms B Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Maybe they got tired of all the multiple

> > personalities and red herring threads? I joined

> > about three years ago and found it a bit

> > off-putting then and stopped for a couple of

> years

> > but it seems worse now.

>

> I was wondering where you'd been.

I did lurk from time to time though...

I ventured onto the football thread once - never again.

Anyways after a self enforced edit for being way too serious, I'll stick my neck out and say that for some I think it really was/is an addiction of sorts, just not widely acknowledged enough yet.

Well it is. I think the local element helps a bit I've posted on other sites befor but drift way fairly quickly. You get to meet people, you have images to maintain, you get in on in jokes, you create in jokes, some people make you laugh out loud, you like to fight with others, there is actually some useful stuff, I've even grown to like the Drawing Room too. Personally I wish everyone still posted on here but understand why they don't. I've had far more return and fun out of here than say Facefuck...by miles. I'll soldier on to 10,000.