Are you a Southwark Council Tenant or leaseholder?

Pugwash

Proposals are afoot to drastically change how Southwark Housing is managed in Southwark.Local area housing offices like Crown House in East Dulwich Road may be closed and 2 or 3 large offices created. It is proposed that southern Southwark be served with one Housing Office based in Queens Road Peckham. Many of the Housing managers are said to be losing their jobs due to budget cuts and the role of housing officers are to be changed.

Southwark Housing are to be consulting tenants about the proposals but some housing staff we have spoken with think this is just 'window dressing' and decisions have been made already.

Around this time of year, your local tenants and residents' associations will be holding their AGMs, and those which are recognised by the council will be able to send 2 representatives to the local area housing forums.

The Barry Area Residents' Association covers all properties in the area bordered by Friern Road from Upland to Lordship Lane (The tall blocks of flats belong to the Friern T and RA)and Crystal Palace Road from Lordship Lane to North Cross/Upland Roads and the roads in between ( Landells, Hindmans, Darrell,Etherow, Norcroft Gds, Rycott Path, Barry,Upland/Underhill and Plough Lane. LL between CP Rd and Friern).

If you are a Southwark Council tenant or leaseholder and within BARA's area you may wish to be more involved in having a say about housing issues. You are welcome to come along to the AGM on 12th April at 8 pm East Dulwich Community Centre,Darrell Road and volunteer to be on our committee.

May I also recommend all Southwark Leaseholders to be a member (for only about ?12 a year) to Leaseholders Association of Southwark, also known as LAS 2000. They don't have a phone number and are run by some very professional and expert volunteers, but you can write to them on the address here and ask for membership. They have saved me loads of money in payments for things, and offer a lot of very good advice.

BARA have just delivered around 2000 leaflets in their catchment area - if you are a council tenant or leaseholder, a small amount of your yearly charges go into the Tenants Fund and is distributed to recognised T & R As in Southwark.

Just bumping up and reminding everyone interested that the BARA AGM is on Tuesday 12th April 8 pm at the East Dulwich

Community Centre, Darrell Road. There will be a chance for a council tenant or leaseholder to be nominated to the Area Housing Forum. With so many changes in housing benefits and internal changes in Southwark HOusing, it is essential that you support your local tenants and residents association.

2000 leaflets went to each house in the BARA catchment area - if you are one of those households who received a leaflet please come along to the meeting and volunteer for the committee. BARA welcomes residents regardless whether they are owner occupiers, private, council or housing association tenants. membership fee is ?1 single member, ?2. family and ?5 group membership. Council leaseholders and tenants are free as T&RAs cost are included in their rent/service charges.

The Community Centre has a portable loop system, disabled toilets,level access

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just bumping up and reminding everyone interested

> that the BARA AGM is on Tuesday 12th April 8 pm at

> the East Dulwich

> Community Centre, Darrell Road. There will be a

> chance for a council tenant or leaseholder to be

> nominated to the Area Housing Forum. With so many

> changes in housing benefits and internal changes

> in Southwark HOusing, it is essential that you

> support your local tenants and residents

> association.

>

> 2000 leaflets went to each house in the BARA

> catchment area - if you are one of those

> households who received a leaflet please come

> along to the meeting and volunteer for the

> committee. BARA welcomes residents regardless

> whether they are owner occupiers, private, council

> or housing association tenants. membership fee is

> ?1 single member, ?2. family and ?5 group

> membership. Council leaseholders and tenants are

> free as T&RAs cost are included in their

> rent/service charges.

>

> The Community Centre has a portable loop system,

> disabled toilets,level access

Thank you for this post

Do You know when will be another meeting becouse my parents are in Guyana South America

and don't know if I would be allow to be part as I am not 18 years old yet but I'll in July.

Time pass too slow :(

The Committee meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month at East Dulwich Community Centre at 8 pm. Meetings usually finish by 10 pm at latest. We do not meet in August and January.

Observers and potential new members are welcomed to attend

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Mark Elvin,

I am a leaseholder too - and I am concerned about the scale of Major Works charges that might be scaled against me - We are slotted for work in 2014.

I wondered - for the ?27,000 can you say (a) what specific works are being undertaken (e.g., new windows, roof overhaul, etc.) and how large your property is (e.g., 1 or 2 bedrooms) as I realise that makes a difference when charges are made.

I am concerned you are only given four months' notice ... for such an ENORMOUS amount ... even acknowledging that they do have payment plans over a number of years - three I think - without interest. It is, I think, not long to make the necessary fiscal arrangements - especially in these challenging times.

Your kind advice will be appreciated.

Cheers, Meunier