Political correctness gone mad?

Penguin68

At the 1 Forest Hill Road surgery they are advertising closing times for several events, including the Royal Wedding (well I suppose it is) and something called Seasonal Break, which apparently happens at the same time as I (a committed and indeed militant atheist) will be taking time off to celebrate the Christian festival of Easter.

Good Friday and Easter Monday are now apparently Seasonal Friday and Seasonal Monday. Could any committed Hindus, Jews or Moslems who read this forum let me know whether they would be offended by reference to Easter as a description of the set of bank holidays we are just to come into - as in 'Easter Break'?

As (also) a republican should I be asking the surgery to refer to the bank holiday on 29th April as a seasonal wedding?

When I travel to America I shall insist they rename Thanksgiving as I think it would have been a service to all humanity if the native Americans had let the settlers starve and there is nothing to be thankful for.

Plus, I am an ungrateful b*****d!

Who is offended,by these Easter holidays?

Such rot,people that come to this country,indeed any country are aware of traditional dates and beliefs.

They are not offended its a myth,started by people who like to agitate and malipulate people.

For me it is, and always will be, Easter,May day,Christmas,holidays.

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm more offended by the phrase "political

> correctness gone mad".

I assume because it is a tautology? Political correctness was mad to begin with.

I just think the expression "political correctness" is overused, and not very meaningful anyway.

And the phrase "political correctness gone mad" is often used to describe something which is actually just being respectful to other people's feelings.

I'm not saying that's the case here, btw, I can't see anything wrong with describing an Easter holiday as an Easter holiday!

Seasonal holiday on April 29th sounds good... that sounds like we'll get it every year! Here's hopin'!!!

Penguin68 Wrote:

> As (also) a republican should I be asking the

> surgery to refer to the bank holiday on 29th April

> as a seasonal wedding?

Penguin68 Wrote:

Could any

> committed... Moslems who read this

> forum let me know whether they would be offended

> by reference to Easter ...

They might be offended by your calling them 'Moslems'.

Why don't we have a friday and monday bank holiday off at the same time each year, so we all know in advance when it will be and we don't have to ring a priest to find out when our days off will be.

I have never understood why Christ's birth ("Christmas") is on the same day every year but his death ("Easter") moves every year. Some consistency, please.