Nunhead and the Camberwell Cemeteries

Renata Hamvas

Many local residents regularly visit Nunhead Cemetery. There was an article in Southwark News yesterday about staff cuts. I thought I better post here to clarify what is happening!. One of the Park Rangers at Nunhead Cemetery has recently retired and two staff remain. A company called Quadrant will be doing routine maintenance (lawn mowing leaf clearance etc at Nunhead and Camberwell new and old Cemeteries. There will be two staff still based at Nunhead Cemetery, to do all the other non-routine work there, but there will no longer be staff with the job title of Park Ranger, the new job titles of the staff will be Monitoring Officer. As well as working at Nunhead they will be checking the quality of work done by Quadrant at the other two cemeteries. This means that the cemetery maintenance should remain at least the same, but may even improve!

Renata

Hello

Please could you explain why Park Rangers are employed in the Borough's Cemeteries?

Does this mean that the cost of maintaining recent burial grounds comes out of the Leisure and Recreation budget, thus disguising the cost of providing and running cemeteries, while genuine leisure and recreation facilities are being closed down?

Please could you clarify this and explain the thinking behind it? Thanks.

Amazingly most councils charge the cost of crematoria (where they run them) and cemeteries to 'Leisure & Recreation' The only logic is that both tend to include large open and cultivated spaces (i.e. gardens of remembrance) and hence call on the same skill sets as parks.