Dulwich PIcture Gallery Cafe moan

womanofdulwich

The food here is good- but the service is so surly and rude. We ordered earl grey pot for 2 today and after we poured it and tasted it we realised it was english breakfast tea- and only one teabag and smaller than the next table's pot for 2 - and was a pot for one. when we complained they gave us another pot but with one tea bag in- we complained again and they took it away and returned it but not one sorry to be heard. WHy cant staff be more gracious?

Take me back to Las Vegas, where service is service not something that has to be done by reluctant staff.

I've definately gone off this place too, I went a couple of Sundays ago for tea and cake, it was quarter to 12, and too early for lunch for me. They turned us away because even though they had cakes on display they were only serving people eating lunch. What I don't understand is they had quite a few empty tables, why refuse my money?

You could always try the lovely cafe in Dulwich Park .

Although if you go before 4pm the scrummage will put you off and they'll have run out of basics like chips and white bread hours ago .

If you go after 4pm you'll find half the seating closed off and drinks and food served in and off paper cups and plates .

Well they're doing you a favour aren't they ,remaining (seemingly under duress ) open and relieving you of your money ?

What more do you want ?

Dulwich Park cafe is an absolute disgrace. Have never ever not had to queue for 10 mins. Many people only want to buy a hot drink.

They could have a concession for coffee sitting alongside the cafe allowing the cafe to concentrate on food, but I guess Dulwich Estate would not allow this.

There are strict planning controls in place in the village that limit the number of commercial premises. So that will always strangle diversity and choice. As 'Nette says you'll also have a captive audience - all of the places in the village are overcrowded at weekends (the dog, pizza express, park cafe) so they don't have to try with the service either. A shame really given the rest of the village is a near perfect example of progressive conservation.

I reckon a fair few villagers just pop down to ED anyway....

Lucas is worse than the Gallery cafe in my opinion, but I'd like to give Au Ciel a special mention for arsiness on a number of occasions - I've often left with the impression they don't want my sort in there. With the cafe in the park I think it's more a lack of organisation, though I agree that place has huge potential if only they could see it.