Plants for a balcony

Michael Palaeologus

Herby as in you can eat it (or smoke it?)

Now for the technical bit.......

Do you get any sun and what time of day???

Is it windy? (the balcony not you)

Do you like flowers? Smell? (sorry fragrance)

Do you want climbers?

Go Mr Mikewbate...you have all afternoon to answer. I MUST go and do some work!

Edible herbs - not "'erbs"

The balcony get some sun in the morning from the east and the sun rises in all its majesty over East Dulwich. The long side of the balcony has 2 open sides - the long side faces north and the short side faces east.

Neither windy or still - bit of both, the balcony and me

Fragrance is good

Climbers - not really, more free standing to provide height.

I have seen a bay bush which I quite fancied.

I have an idea to have about 4 pots of veggies - runner beans, french beans and some toms - I can get plants from a mate and have some experience in veggie related planting.

Ta!!!

Snails. Sneaky buggers. We did big stainless steel planters cantilevered on treated railway sleepers to try and keep the blighters off in an ecologically friendly way. It failed and we went for mega-death tablets. The place looked like something out of a low budget horror film and Bumbalina couldn't go near for a few weeks ;-)

Plural of crocus can be either crocus, crocuses or croci - remarkably flexible.

Ok Mr Mikewbate

Hope youv'e finished in the bathroom. I am going to have to give up the forum for the rest of lent, it's all getting a bit much for me.....

Here's some ideas for your balcony-bay tree v nice esp. if you can get clipped/shaped- depends on your budget of course. Other good herbs-coriander,(easy from seed or split up one of those carton thingys from sainsburys), mint great but keep on its own as will take over pot ,thyme, rosemary and parsley all good and well behaved but quite low lying. What about potatoes in large pot (or stacked tyres works well)-right time to plant potatoes now.

getting late to sew tomato seeds but you can buy mini pots and plant soon. Need lots of water and food so if you go away they will need looking after if dry spell.

Other stuff that's good in containers:

cannas, pelargoniums,agapanthus,osteospermum,fuchsias (flowering)

loads of grasses

choisya, daphne,viburnum,mimosa, skimmia (shrubs, some with fragrant flowers)

east street market is ok for plants on sundays - columbia road mad but fab so go early!

local garden centres expensive but ok.

got to go! good luck and enjoy....

Hi Mike

Miscanthus (a grass) looks great in pots. Mine's about 3 feet tall and looks great all year round. I know they had some for sale this time last year at Alleyn's Garden Centre in West Dulwich who can advise on the different types. They are cut back to the base at this time of year but the one I have is very fast-growing and gets back to the full height by the start of summer.

I also have fushias and geraniums (hot pink and bright reds) and agapanthus in pots to give some bright colours. I also have a New Zealand Flax which can help give that med-style look - goes very well next to the Miscanthus. I like your veg idea - sounds very yummy!!(tu)

Have you ever been to Morden Hall Park Garden Centre which is a bit past Streatham? Very big so you can have a really good think about what you want. The prices are reasonable (cheaper than some of the places around ED) and the quality is superb - the plants I have got from there always are the ones that do best. There's also a lovely park you can walk around and a National Trust teashop. Also, if you have kids (or if like me, you just love fluffy animals!), there's a small farm behind the park. I am going to visit in April to see the lambs and other spring babies. Aahhh....

I find B&Q is always good value too for certain types of plant - I got a Phoenix canariensis (canary island date palm) from there and that has done very well - that can be put in a pot too.

Let us know what you decide on! I am also at that stage when I am thinking of planting a few new things.

• 2 weeks later...