Dangerous cycling charge to punish 'Lycra louts'

John247

According to many newspapers, the Department for Transport is considering bringing in a law to punish cyclists who kill or seriously injure pedestrians. The Government is concerned that the current maximum penalty for dangerous cycling is a ?2,500 fine, whereas the maximum punishment for dangerous driving is 14 years in prison. The move comes amid mounting concern for 'Lycra lout' cyclists who fail to obey road laws and travel at high speed on pavements. Mike Penning, the Road safety minister, said that the government wished to make it clear that "everyone who uses the road, including cyclists, has a responsibility to behave safely".

I am a keen cyclist, but support measures to kerb the behavour of some cyclists whose behavour can be reckless in the extreme.

What do other people think?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems reasonable that if you wilfully ride in away

> that kills someone then you get punished. However

> the number of pedestrians harmed or killed by

> cyclists is still extremely low compared to other

> vehicles.

That sums it up. Can we leave it there?

Sounds like a great idea, anything to promote good road users vs bad ones.

I'd like to also see some 'incentive' for the minority of pedestrians who cross the road in front my bike with their iPod in or chatting on the phone. In the states it's called jay walking and the more I cycle/ride/drive in London the more i think we could do with something similiar.

At the end of the day there's a limit how responsible drivers can be before pedestrians have to start taking more care themselves crossing the road etc.

When we not on wheels we're all pedestrians and probably guilty of the above at some point!

John, Pearson is referring to the fact that in the last few weeks, there have been a number if threads on cyclists and their action and several of us may feel that we don't have energy to rehash it all again

In general, it seems that most regular cyclists have no problem with their reckless brethren being held to account. However, most of us also claim to belong to the law-abiding majority so this shouldn't impact us aside perhaps for making us less of a target since now at least idiots who give us all a bad name might get their comeuppance

Thanks Applespider.

This is true John, i had enough to say on the previous threads.

Nothing to do with your thread specifically, just though i would

side step this one and allow others to continue the conversation.

*can't help myself*

So, not sure if it will make much difference to anything though as it

just appears to be a reaction to the recent case where cyclist killed a pedestrian

I'm a cyclist & I don't have an issue with the proposal for what it's worth...

It seems reasonable enough to expect cyclist to be more considerate than what they are.

Maybe to confiscate their bikes for dangerous riding as well.

There are cyclist who dont care about anyone, and seem to think they can snub there nose at everyone even pedestrians

usually ones with childlike minds.

The same kind who think they can cycle,wobbling and useing a mobile phone all at the same time.dah.

I think its really sad that parliamentary time can be found for this over so many other even more worthwhile issues.

Extreme cyclists have gone to prison for the incrediblt rare occurence of a pedestrian being injured or even more rare killed by a cyclist.

This contrasts with the many more cyclists killed every year by motor vehicles. In London tipper and concrete lorries that don't legally have to have side guards kill around 8-12 cyclists a year (roughly half of cyclist deaths). They're excused sideguards in case they get damaged on building sites. Some cement companies have added them and not found this to be an issue.

IF parliamentary time can be found a balanced act solving all isues around cyclsits and safety would be the mature responsible things to do. RATHER than a Daily Mail/Sun headline grabbing stunt.

For me, most cyclists are generally considerate. However, it's the idiots who race each-other that really p me off. I have to admit, this occurs mostly with male cyclists who think nothing of over taking their 'slower' counterparts whilst taking over most of the road to do so. If you must overtake, why not wait for a sensible opportunity?

Henryb that is exactly what I was saying. The odd instance would be fine but on a busy road choc full of bikes it becomes a bit like the tour de france with idiots racing each-other, if you don't believe me, head down the embankment towards Victoria around about 8.15.

It's not just cyclists those kinds of drivers behave like lunatics towards but motorcyclists too. A blue van cut into a motorcycle I was riding pillion on Saturday causing us to have to break sharply. As we overtook him my driver had a chat with him about cutting him up. The van drivers response was to purposely try and ram us off the road as we overtook him (which being a motorcycle we could do easily) - just crazy and a manouvre that could have killed both me and the motorcycle driver. One day he will kill someone probably. But until that happens what can any of us do?

John247 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Some of you may have seen this, which highlights

> some of the rather more dangerious driving out

> there -

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486

There's some awful car drivers out there. There's some awful cyclists out there. There's some awful motorcyclists out there. There's some awful van drivers out there.

There's some awful people out there.