New Yoik Foodiness

mockney piers

Off to the big appley thing in a little while for a wedding, which coincides with my birthday (21st ... again....).

Was hoping the missus and I could find somewhere a bit special, dining-wise, to celebrate, but we really don't know the place at all.

The usual websites seem to be throwing up far too many options with the word 'fusion' in the description, making me want to run a mile, so thought I might look for recommendations from you 'orrible lot, which I'm sure will throw up (no pun intended) a much more interesting and eclectic list.

Much thankage

P

We went to this place on our honeymoon, some friends had given us money as a wedding present for a blow out meal - it remains one of the best I've ever had: http://www.danielnyc.com/dbbistro.html

My understanding re NYC restaurants is they change a lot - might be best getting some advice from people you're staying with or, if you're in a hotel, from the concierge.

L'Ecole, the Restaurant of The FCIL'Ecole,

Ground Floor

462 Broadway, New York, NY 10013, United States

(212) 219-3300

Underground: Canal St

Went to this place last May,was amazing!It's a french cookery school and they have special menus at very reasonable prices.

Fabulous food & service.

Mockney, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Union Square Cafe, visited in November. Lovely venue and everything from the cocktails to the deserts were perfect.

http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/menus.html

Or, at the other end of the scale, if a decent burger and pint of Brooklyn is your thing, you could do a lot worse than this place over in Williamsburg, BK.

http://dinernyc.com/

Probably the complete opposite of what you're looking for (and if mock junior is with you might be tricky), but we went for Sunday brunch at the Blue Note Jazz Club (here) and loved it - corned beef hash, followed by live jazz (with an amazing Japanese jazz singer - lots of fans in the audience were walking up and giving her flowers mid way through songs!).

Probably appreciated it more as the weather had been appalling so being somewhere warm and dry was good!

For a great value "authentic" burger (one of the best in NYC) I love the Corner Bistro in the Village. It's a pub up front with a back room serving McSorleys ale and really nice straight up, freshly ground NYC burgers that are pink in the middle. No need to dress up - and Terra Blues is just around the corner for some music into the night and great selection of bourbon. In fact I've just given you my ideal NY night (followed by a roof top DJ party).

I will be in sunny SE22. So enjoy yourself!

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> MrBen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > For a great value "authentic" burger (one of

> the

> > best in NYC)

>

> You've tried all the others? Impressive.

*Bob*... pedant!....replace that with "local institution". The kind of informal place that local New Yorkers have been going to for years that does whatever it does straight up, consistently and has a bit of history.

I like that about NY. What local eating institutions do we have in London? The Golden Hind in Marylebone? Claridges for high tea? Joe Allen's London place? For some reason we're a bit short and I'm not sure why.....

I've never been to NY, so I'm afraid I can't buy into the 'Cheers' dream (well ok, Boston, wasn't it?.. near enough)

But I imagine one of the prerequisites of being either a native or a regular visitor is know at least one place that does the best yadda yadda, despite there being four hundred other places that serve something identical.

You go into a local institution (est. 1978)

You ask for a boiger. There's at least one man working in there called 'Joe', who shrugs a lot. He offers you a choice bread which you don't want and says 'am I right, or am I right' - for no apparent reason.

You then have to eat it whilst perched on a high stool staring forward, hoping that the incredibly fat man sitting to your left doesn't start talking to you - again, for no apparent reason.