william rose butchers (Lounged)

neilly1973

I tried to order an turkey for christmas over the phone... after being given the 3rd degree that made me feel quite uncomfortable i was effectively told that i couldn't prove that i was a regular and as i always buy our meat from there they certainly wouldn't take a face to face order (with 50% deposit) from my boyfriend as they wouldn't recognise him.

I couldn't believe how rude he was to me... i've been buying meat from William rose since I moved to ED in May.

With an arrogant attitude like that he doesn't deserve the business which i have since taken elsewhere... it is now highly likely that i shall never queue outside his shop again.

There has been a sign in the shop for aaaages now warning people that christmas orders after a certain date will be limited to regulars after a certain date (now passed I think). So I would suggest that ringing up mid November and having been going since May (compared to many other people who go) you do leave yourself open to the possibility of falling off the list - especially trying it over the phone

It's not a supermarket buying shed loads of crappily produced turkeys - the list is there to ensure the quality of the turkey they sell is maintained and is extremely popular so you were just too late/unlucky. If they were rude to you that's a shame but I wouldn't be surprised if they have had to deal with hundreds of similar phonecalls - and when they have gone to the trouble of telling their regulars for some time now that must be frustrating

I'm a regular there too and am also too late for turkey - but there are many other things which can be had (and much tastier) than turkey so I'll live

Sean, everything you say is fair enough, but as I've said before about this place, manners cost nout!

Yes they do good meat at good prices, but the fact they're obviosly doing very good business doesn't mean they should feel they don't need to try!

For the record, I don't think the main man is to blame here at all, I get the impression it's just one moody butcher.

I can understand the "not a Supermarket" stance, but they are a business and the fact that their customer base will temporraily expand at Christmas should not be a surprise. It is a potential opportunity that could attract new customers and turn them into log term customers. They seem to see this short term surge as a problem.

If they run out of Turkeys they could always nip down to Sainbos for more supplies, they would still make a hefty profit.

:))

Keef - too true re: manners and I didn't mean to suggest they are exempt I was just trying to give the other side (born Librans huh??)

ON the subject of food rather than manners - Good suggestion from downsouth as well and I hope Christmas is sorted neilly but I wouldn't give up on Rose just for that. Victims of their own success and that - how long have they been open now -3 Christmases? something like that And each year that orders book has been much bigger than the previous.

re: Pete's "what defines a regular"? - I suppose if they have x number of turkeys available and they have had people coming for 3 years (compared to 6 months) it' the fairest means of allocation.

Come on, Neilly.. Even if you are a 'regular', your attempts at bagging a turkey come across as decidedly suss. It's the middle of November, which means you've left it too late (the sign regarding turkey ordering has been up for ages). You're trying to order it over the phone (bizarre) and send your mysterious boyfriend in to collect. No doubt you were irritated when they said you couldn't have one and now it's stewed into something postworthy.

You sound like one of those people on 'Airport' who's arrived a minute late to check-in and starts throwing a wobbler.

Have you tried John the butcher in the van on Northcross rd on Saturdays, I'm not sure what the deal is with christmas orders but I personally prefer his meat (even though he doesn't have as wide a selection) and he's certainly a lot more friendly that a few of the guys at William Rose. Another place to try is Moens and sons in clapham I always used to get my meat from there v friendly bunch of guys and good range.

Sean - I think if I'd been shopping somewhere every week for six months and were then turned down for not being a "regular" I'd be inclined to take my business elsewhere.

I probably go in about once a month, and my wife about two out of every three weeks but given the huge number of customers and the large number of serving staff I'd be surprised if they recognised me.

I wasn't joking when I said membership cards - why not offer cards to people at the start of the year that are stamped at every visit then state the minimum required to join the turkey ordering club. At the moment it too subjective.

May be OTT for a high street butchers but it would prevent the kind of problems suffered by the OP.

How completely ridiculous. I can't recommend these people highly enough:

www.devonrose.com

All their meat is organic, free range (mostly from Richard's farm (the chap who runs it). The meat boxes are really good value and they have won loads of awards. And best of all, no queuing!