Prime Minister - 'calm down dear'

Atticus

Marmora Man, you are quite beyond belief. What would your wife say if you said 'calm down dear' in front of your mates in order to remind her that you are a man and she needs to know her place?

*comprehensive non Labour MP disbelief*

Looking for the men-stuck-in-1050 poster book.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Marmora Man, you are quite beyond belief. What

> would your wife say if you said 'calm down dear'

> in front of your mates in order to remind her that

> you are a man and she needs to know her place?

>

> *comprehensive non Labour MP disbelief*

>

> Looking for the men-stuck-in-1050 poster book.

My wife would laugh and come back at me with a similar, non threatening, relevant and perhaps marginally amusing put down. Neither of us believes in po faced rectitude. I'm not defending Cameron's wit - as a parliamentary put down it was weak - I'm amused by the degree of righteousness that Labour and its supporters can muster in response to such a lame joke.

If this was the first time Cameron had used this phrase I would understand the supposed uproar, and the suggestion of sexism, but it isn't. He previously used the phrase to quieten down a man (I think it was David Milliband). There weren't any complaints then, so why the excitement now? I rather think this was just an exchange of normal political banter that a few journalists managed to get in the middle of.

Banter, but in this case used in a sexist way, so he's either being deliberately sexist or showing rather poor judgement for a political leader (maybe both). Perhaps his indecision over what to wear to the royal wedding has fogged his brain.

The man's an idiot and unfit to be prime minister. My guess he's marking time till he gets into the House of Lords and a glut of board positions.