God I hate the Guardian

????

Well I don't have any pride in a history stained by the proceeds of slavery, which incidentally paid for many of the grand buildings we so gleefully sell to tourists.

Not a great post DJKQ - kneejerk perhaps?: It is, of course, the same shared British history that lead the world in abolishing the established slave trade. The peak of Britain's involvement in the slave trade was probably the 17th & 18th centuries - and while Liverpool and Bristol undoubtedly spent on grand buildings - much of the tourist grabbing grand building took place outside this period. Tower of London, Hadrian's Wall, Stonehenge, Westminster Cathedral anyone?

I don't disagree that it applies everywhere, but just because it does, doesn't make it alright or forgiveable. Nor do I hold any value to the idea that after using the slave trade we were the ones to abolish it...oh well done us! Of course making people work long hours in factories and mines for peacemeal (and making barely enough to feed themselves and their families for a day) while the speculators got rich is not a form of slavery either is it? That went on until the early 20th century.

It is what it is - a stained past with many things to be proud of but equally many things to be ashamed of. The wealth of this country historically was made on the backs of ordinary people who were worked to death and not all of them came from the colonies as slaves.

The wealth of every country historically was made off the backs of ordinary people who were worked to death etc.

We're still wearing clothes and using smart phones built by slaves and indentured labour.

Its very ubiquity makes it an illogical choice as a stick with which to beat the British.

Incidentally, I don't really understand what this attack on Guardian readers is all about. Toynbee is just one of many columnists, and they don't always reflect the paper's politics. Monbiot is pro-nuclear for example, but the paper is not.

I read the Guardian, but thought the Royal Wedding was a terrific event.

Assuming the Guardian or it's readers all fit into a particular mould is a prejudice worthy of the Daily Mail? ;-)

People read the Guardian for a number of reasons. Take Quids and Snorky for example. They represent the portion of its readership who click through the pages as a masochistic exercise which fuels misanthropic rants.

They?re an under-recognised yet socially important market

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> .....what a load of cock from Polly Tonybee once

> more

>

> ...Hampstead and your lefty establishment mates

> are not the Voice of the People Polly

Boring.....apart from the notion the Blair held back the forces of conservatism, considering he was the best 'unelected' Conservative we have had in the post in years

• 3 weeks later...

The TV listings are much better in Saturday's Daily Mail than they are in Saturday's Guardian.

And there is a much better puzzle section (in the Daily Mail that is).

But don't ask me to take either tablet seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

Take it with a pinch of salt.

It is not the Daily Hate, the only truly abhorrent daily. The Express would love to be but nobody reads it. Go out to Bromley and they will say "Oh I read it in the Mail so it must be true" I dunno anyone who says I read it in the Grauniad so it must be true. May get a - did you read that interesting/uninteresting article.

I am impresssed, I only found this thread by mistake but my fans are calling for me, thanks Frankito.