Church Langley, Harlow in Essex

Live4mykids

A long shot but does anyone know anything about Church Langley or other parts of Harlow in Essex? Thinking of moving there with my young children for a few reasons but we don't know the area too well at the moment. Obviously planning on taking several visits and speaking to estate agents and the locals etc but your opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I have been to Harlow several times, and know they have a great system of cycleways around the town that are (mostly, if not always) separate from the regular roads, so there are underpasses etc so you never seem to have to meet up with cars.

Otherwise, it was a New Town so most of the houses were/are ex council.

They were mostly built between 1950 and 1970, so the town looks rather samey.

Plenty of open spaces. Easy to get away from Harlow into some nice villages with good pubs.

Decent shopping centre, not great. Lots of "shed" type retailers on former industrial estates.

No nothing about the quality of the schools.

Church Langley is close to Harlow Common which is pleasant.

Before moving I would ask myself the following:

Are you white?

Do you have a menial (but quite well paid) job in the financial services sector?

Do you dream of living in a Charles Church "executive home" with a BMW X6 parked in the drive?

Would you instictively go for a gas or electric BBQ on your patio rather than charcoal?

Have you been to Disneyland/word ?? (Eurodisney "disney" count).

If you can answer yes to the above then I would say you will fit in quite well.

ps sorry - I don't know anything about Harlow except I somehow know I wouldn't want to live there....

I have been to Harlow and Church Langley quite a few times as I used to live in nearby (ish) Epping. I really liked living in Essex and found the local community lovely and friendly.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Harlow itself although I'm sure like most places there are positives as well as negatives. The area known as Old Harlow seemed nicer to me. Church Langley is an extension of Harlow (eg lots of new housing developments, new roads, numerous roundabouts and the ubiquitous Tesco!) I think you'd need a car to get around if living there, esp with young children.

Transport links are not bad - there are regular trains from Harlow into Liverpool st/Stansted and its very close to the M11 which can be handy. There's a bus station in the centre of Harlow (by one of the large shopping malls). Good taxi service from Harlow station too.

There's beautiful surrounding countryside and green spaces (and lots and lots of roundabouts!).

Lots of industrial estates and huge shops on the outskirts too.

Good luck with wherever you choose.

PS Oilworker - have you ever been to Harlow? I think you're talking about a different part of Essex but I hear what you're saying about the preferred choice of BBQ.

Actually - I believe I have been to Harlow - but some time ago so all I can remember is the flyovers, roundabouts and anonymous single storey sheds housing regional distribution centres etc- I wasn't aware of the bus station and shopping mall. I can only think of Harlow and other similarly placed dormitory towns as places to get away from - not to go to...(and I come from Glasgow so I should know a thing or two about that..)

My friend bought a new house In Church Langley about 15 years ago on a little estate. She tried to show me the wonderful cycle ways etc and green space, but she and I knew it was a little bit like Oilworker suggested- London people trying to escape to an English new village. It had no heart, and as I often find, everyone was the same and she could not hack it. It may have matured in the past 15 years though! I cant help thinking there would be little for teenagers to do there- and lots of mischief in the green spaces and underpasses.I would love someone to say differently though.

oilworker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Actually - I believe I have been to Harlow - but

> some time ago so all I can remember is the

> flyovers, roundabouts and anonymous single storey

> sheds housing regional distribution centres etc- I

> wasn't aware of the bus station and shopping mall.

> I can only think of Harlow and other similarly

> placed dormitory towns as places to get away from

> - not to go to...(and I come from Glasgow so I

> should know a thing or two about that..)

but... Glasgow's Miles Better :))

Glasgow has character, Harlow doesn't. Yes, I have been to both. If I had to choose to live in one of them it would be Harlow but only because it's closer to come to London at the weekends, and it's a few degrees warmer down south. Otherwise, I can't think of anything positive to say about the place.

hi i have lived in harlow all my life i'm 41, i have been trying to get out of harlow for years but no one wants to exchange houses no one wants to live here its a horrible place or rather some parts are quite beautiful but the people are not. 2 years ago our oldest daughter was stabbed and nearly died we are desparate to get away from here but cant if you live 4 your kids as your name says this is the last place on earth you would want to bring them to. A lady of my age was raped near my home 2 nights ago by a 17 year old young man iys not safe here any more things have changed i only hope we get the rest of our kids somewhere safe soon hope this was helpful even if depressing i wouldn't wish moving here on my worst enemy all the best hope you find somewhere else thats better