Parking permits based on co2 emissions

tadeusy

Hi

Southwark Council are proposing to increase the permit charges by 50% based on your co2 emissions.

This a Tax on people who are trap in the cpz and have to park on the road side.

The council are using every trick in the book to justify these new charges.

Richmond Council were the fist London Council to introduce Permit charges based on co2 emissions have now abandon the scheme because of the unfairness of the scheme and not having the desired effect they expected.

People are already penalise through the Road Fund Licence because of there co2 emissions, the Council should not get away with raising funds this way because we are trap in the cpz.

If you feel as strongly as me, please write to your councillor and [email protected] Parking Manager

If you attended the community council meeting last week at the East Dulwich Community Centre you will note that most cars after 2001 (I think that was the correct year) conform to the co2 emissions and generally the residents parking permits work out slightly cheaper.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Should apply to old cars that don't conform

>

> What if you can't afford a new car?

Get a bike?

I have a rather inefficient car, but I only drive about once a fortnight or so. That makes it, in my mind, much more easy on the environment than a more efficient car that is driven every day.

So surely if you have an inefficient car, the council should be *encouraging* you to park it? Why is a parked inefficient car doing more damage than a parked efficient one? There is no encouragement to drive less here - quite the opposite, once you've paid your ?x a year it doesn't matter how much or how little you drive it.

Sounds like another wheeze thought up by people that are bored.

I did attend the Camberwell Green Community Council Meeting, And I did speak to David Sole the Parking Manager about this issue, and most cars more than 4 years old will be affected by these new charges, and most cars built before 2001 will disappear from our streets by default anyway, this is only being done to raise capital and that is what is wrong.

Residents of Barnett have already made a legal challenge to there Council on this same subject.

When I pointed out that Richmond Council have now abandon the scheme I was told I was wrong plus why is there so little information out there so people can understand what is going on, the first I heard of this was at the meeting and when you consider there was only about eight people there at the time, so when they implement the new charges they can say, we let the residents know at the community meetings.

Talking of which, when will the authorities come to their senses and demand that sufferers of IBS and other causes of 'abdominal bloating' pay a tax based on their contribution to the total carbon footprint? Given how common it now seems to be you'd think there's some kind of opportunity there.