Wanted: recommendation for day spa

mothercourage

My best friend has just arrived from Oz. I'd really like to take her to a day spa and hang out (quite literally possibly) in white fluffy robes for the day while reading mags, getting treatments and catching up (we haven't seen each other for a year). I'm thinking somewhere like The Sanctuary but it could equally be a spa that's attached to a hotel so we could get a room and not have to worry about travelling home whilst blissed out from all the indulgence. Anyone been to the Sanctuary? Got any other gems you could remommend?

Thanks...

The Sanctuary was getting a bit tired in the wet areas last time I went and I think it is quite expensive - it is iconic though with the carp pools and swing. Try and get a deal to reduce the cost though. Champneys is supposed to be good (out of london) and the spa at Royal Tunbridge Wells was very nice (great afternoon tea too). Try Wahanda - they do lots of 2 for 1 deals on spas all over the country inc the Sanctuary- i am going for a much needed facial at the Athenuem on friday - I will let you know how it goes!

I'm from Oz myself and I had the Vaishaly facial at the Dorchester recently. It's so deluxe. You can have 1 treatment (or more, of course) and enjoy the steam room and lounging area for as long as you like. One of my friends goes out to the Cliveden in Berks regularly and she loves it. Have fun!

The spa at the Berkeley's pretty awesome - rooftop pool makes for nice sunbathing in nice weather, and you can pop downstairs to the Blue Bar for a whole array of cocktails.

Out of town, I'd also recommend Cowley Manor - beautiful hotel and grounds, brilliant, brilliant spa.

I'd recommend the Utopia Spa at Rowley Grange in Kent

http://www.alexanderhotels.co.uk/rowhill/

It's got a swimming pool, spa pool, sauna and you can get the usual range of treatments. I went there with friends on a hen weekend and liked it enough to take myself back for a birthday treat last year. You can create your own spa day by picking a price which includes a certain value of treatments rather than just a certain set which might not appeal (e.g. I often find manicures a bit of a waste because I don't like spending time sitting still while the polish dries on a spa day - invariably manage to smudge while turning the page of my book)

I've also been to K West in west London, which is quite nice but lacks a pool, and the Sanctuary, which was ok, but the pool was a bit chilly for my liking - couldn't stay in for long. And the nicest day beds in the relaxation area do get taken early by people who seem to manage to claim them for the day.

I've been meaning to try Pennyhill Park - one of my colleagues has raved about it. Have been to Champneys Tring, Forest Mere and Henlow Grange in the past - all quite nice. Grayshott Spa is also very nice and quieter than the Champneys ones which can get quite busy.

I usually use http://www.spabreak.co.uk/ to book my trips - they guarantee to be as cheap as going direct to the spa and will help you pick which spa most suits your needs and do the calling round to check availability too. I've booked things very last minute in the past and they've saved me a lot of leg work and couldn't have been more helpful. (I don't work for them honest!)

• 2 months later...