Seinfeld - Can someone help me out?

*Bob*

If it's good enough for HonaloochieB then by god it's good enough for you, you brazen pup you

for 15 years I didn't get seinfeld - resented it in fact. But it is most definitely genius

It's not the plots or the "jokes" - it's the internal workings of the characters. The trappings of the era (slap bass and all) can grate but more often add to the charm. And no, his dress sense doesn't get any better

Oh god.. please don't start quoting from Seinfeld. People quoting jubilantly from Seinfeld has put nearly as many people off Seinfeld as, well, the show itself.

Realistically, how much of it do you have to force yourself to watch before you can expect some sort of a return?

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it's good enough for HonaloochieB then by god

> it's good enough for you, you brazen pup you

> It's not the plots or the "jokes" - it's the

> internal workings of the characters. The trappings

> of the era (slap bass and all) can grate but more

> often add to the charm. And no, his dress sense

> doesn't get any better

This!

George Costanza (the character) makes me laugh the most. Also the mail man... Kramer can be irritating!

What about Curb your enthusiasm *Bob*?

Ah yes, Kramer. The Jar Jar Binks of comedy.

I'm down with Curb - and virtually everything else that should (by rights) put me in the Seinfeld backslapping club. Oh, apart from Frasier. Which wasn't funny either.

What have you watched so far Bob? I would say don't judge it on the pilot or first few episodes give it a bit of time and it'll eat away at your funny bone. You'll be crying by the final episodes. Nancy Sinatra is supposed to have missed the passing of her father as she was away from his bedside watching the final episode.

Oh *Bob* and you thought it was bad when people simply quoted from the series on here ...

Now all Seinfeld afficionados will be posting links to the "funniest" clips (eg soup episode or in my case, anything and everything to do with George) !

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bob - if you didn't find Frasier funny you may

> have to just give up and admit that you'd be

> better off just watching Two Pints of Lager....

Believe me, it was a relief not to find Frasier funny, having seen the average Frasier fan, banging on about 'the script' and screaming with theatrical laughter at the slightly mildly risible occurrence.

Is it because the comedy is just so sophisticated that it takes at least four or five hours of it before mere mortal brains manage to distill what they can into the semblance of a laugh? I suppose it must be.

That's what they say anyway. And boy do they love to say it.

There's a story arc, usually one in an episode and several over a series. Yes it's a bit more sophisticated than your average sitcom but that's part of the joy. Forgive us for intellectualising (sp?!) comedy or should we have a Pol Pot style attitude towards it? ;-)

Not at all Bob, just a bit of development in each character episode by episode allows you to gradually become in on the joke. There is nothing intellectually superior about this at all. It's just a little more subtle and requires patience and time, not brains.