Tintin

huncamunca

I've been planning on starting to read Tintin for the first time but have had trouble finding copies in book shops.

I now have had it confirmed by a source that Chener stock issues so I clearly didn't look very hard.

And I don't think there is anything particularly politically unpleasant about it is there?

I believe that there were some rather stereotypical portrayals of Africans and Jews in a couple of the books

]

The latter probably the dodgier especially given the time and what was going on. I'm inclined to think the former is just a cartoonish stereotyping, no worse than that seen in the Tarzan films of the time, but doubtless will get into hot water for saying so.

Chinless fops anyone?

I was always particularly partial to the Viz Tintin parodies.. mocking but drawn with a fond eye.

The one where Tintin follows some 'suspicious-looking characters' - and ends-up at a rave - was very, very funny.

My small nephew is already expressing concern about my pronunciation of dinosaur names. It's a worry. He's not supposed to realise how uncool I am until he's at least six or seven.