Lending stuff on the forum: Was I just unlucky ?

ed_pete

Feeling community-spirited I lent my electric hot-air paint stripper gun to a forumite back in January. After a month they hadn't returned it so I prompted them with an PM. They replied that it has stopped working and offered to buy a replacement - even sent a link to a similar model on the B&Q website. Feeling generous I said that wouldn't be necessary and said ?15 would settle it. This was back in early March and in spite of more PM's promising they would deliver the cash but needed to know when I was in rather than post it through the letterbox in case "a dog ate it" (I kid you not), I have received nothing.

I have lent other stuff in the past without a hitch but am now feeling reluctant to do so in future.

I've loaned and been loaned things from other forumites. No problems at all and agree it is community spirited.

I've also given lots of items away but recently offered something for a bottle of wine. A number of People contacted me, I fairly gave the items to the first who collected said items that evening saying she would drop some wine off.....that was around 5 weeks ago now and needless to say no wine materialised as yet!

Certainly does put you off!

Given away a few bits and bobs. Wine is a brucey bonus but I'm not that fussed (especially since the bottle of 'British Wine').

Agreed that it would be nice if people followed through with a promise though; it's the whole expectation and let down thing, whether or not you wanted it.

No no Mockney, I expect better from you. Shakespeare put those words in the mouth of Polonius who was a lot of an idiot, wrong-headed and stabbed for his trouble.

As for lending, well I have a few DVDs out there with forumites that are overdue. I'll be imposing fines...

My take on it is pretty simple - lend nothing you can't afford to lose.

Hi Rosie

I just tried to send you a p.m. but your inbox is full.

x

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No no Mockney, I expect better from you.

> Shakespeare put those words in the mouth of

> Polonius who was a lot of an idiot, wrong-headed

> and stabbed for his trouble.

>

> As for lending, well I have a few DVDs out there

> with forumites that are overdue. I'll be imposing

> fines...

>

> My take on it is pretty simple - lend nothing you

> can't afford to lose.

RosieH Wrote:

> No no Mockney, I expect better from you.

> Shakespeare put those words in the mouth of

> Polonius who was a lot of an idiot, wrong-headed

> and stabbed for his trouble.

>

> fines...

>

> My take on it is pretty simple - lend nothing you

> can't afford to lose.

Hey Rosie H

Your box is full so I can't PM you. How the devil are you? I still have your DVDs. Will happily pay any fine you impose - especially if it's alcohol based. Unfortunately your stuff is now in storage for the duration of my home refurbishment. I've moved out of my house and I'm renting until around September-ish. It would be lovely to see you.

Pxxx

RosieH Wrote:

> fines...

>

Erm, I believe we too have your West Wing DVDs.....

Is Rosieh's ubiquitous generosity the reason for the demise of the Apollo DVD store?

More importantly is RosieH's generosity one of the reasons why we're glad to be here?

giggirl, it's kind of important that when you are totally preoccupied with private concerns you put your responsibility to others first. Other people's DVDs shouldn't be in your storage. ;-)

How come snorky never contributes to threads like this?

I'm 100% behind RosieH's sentiments - the alternative to not engaging in this way is too depressing

I have, variously, sold, lent, given away and borrowed via this forum. Often with complete strangers. In that time I have only once had something not come back to me that should but it didn't put me off

If you are worried, the old "check their posting history" trick should provide enough clues as to what kind of person they are. If they are new, then it's just down to how they come across in the request

I would say that of all the aspects of this forum, it is the channels for doing this kind of thing that give it genuine community status rather than just another online forum where anonymous posters bang their weary heads together

So yes ed_pete, you were unlucky, but you?re alive and well, and a little bit of their soul has died, not yours

You could try streetbank.com as well as EDF. It links you to people near where you live who have things to give and share. It's still in fairly early stages of development but it seems to work very well when it reaches a critical mass of neighbourly members in a specific geographical area. I've had one or two good exchanges on it.