books

huncamunca

can't we just call this thread 'overrated x episode 453'.

At least it's not bands with umpteen people telling us how awful the Beatles were.

Aaaanyway, with you on OTR, I'd add most of Burroughs' output in there too, terribly dated and very dull.

I did try a GGM novel a while back but got bored very quickly, a latin american Henry James if you ask me. I am rather partial to Mario Varga Llosa though. La Ciudad y Los Perros (I think it's The Time of the Hero in English) is well worth a read, right up your street snunks, all having a pop at the establishment and revealing societal hypocrisy and stuff.

Reading Karl Marlantes Matterhorn at the moment; was initially reluctant as Vietnam's a bit done isn't it, but any book that took 35 years to write has to be worth some attention if just to appreciate the sheer bloody mindedness of it all.

A Brief History Of Time, of course.

Bob, the books that look nice are not for reading. They're for looking at. The books that are for reading are the colourful ones by your bed by Andy McNab / Freya North (select as applicable).

Does liking a particular type of book, make you clever / cool / sad / boring? I read every day, but most of it is not very challenging, because I find the rest of my life challenging enough. I read to get away from that stuff.

Actually, I have read one of them - 'Fred and Rose'. A friend of mine lent their copy to me whilst on holiday and it proved to be an excellent beach read.

Indeed, I enjoyed it so much I bought it for Mrs *Bob* as a Christmas gift. Needless to say she was delighted.

file.php?20,file=26719

Is there a Boden-approved reading list for the summer?

From past catalogues I'm going Beevor's Stalingrad. Amsterdam and Atonement, from Ian McE. Nothing from Richard & Judy's sales promos, obv.

This summer's "most-packed on top of the iPad charger before hitting the A303" will be The Crimson W@nk Fantasy and the White, but not with the BBC cover pic, clearly.

Anyway, Otta has a point. Very few of us have the mental capacity to be true polymaths, even if we had the time, so there isn't much justification for the bookish to look down on those who get their intellectual kicks elsewhere. The rule does seem to be the usual nonsense about the obscurer the better. Oh, and liking reading poetry makes you either super-cool and intellectual, or a pretentious twonk.

Any of these from this purported Top 50 books of the last century? I'm embarrassed to admit that I've read precious few on the list...

1. Ulysses by James Joyce

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

5. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

6. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

7. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

8. Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler

9. Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence

10. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

11. Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry

12. The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler