Cricket Lovely Cricket

maxxi

With the footy season closing it's time to wander down to the Oval and watch Surrey v Glamorgan in the LV (luncheon vouchers!?) County Championship. Going on Fri (day 4 of 4 day game - optimistic). Not expecting a big queue at the bar.

Does anyone actually follow county cricket like they do a fb team? Have seen Surrey Browns 20/20 games but this'll be 1st county game in ages.

Edited to give Oval proper dignified title - Kia Oval.

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> Does anyone actually follow county cricket like

> they do a fb team?

Absolutely. Saw my first Warwickshire game in 1970 and have been a fan since. My school was a mile away from Edgbaston so I could make the last session of games on a regular basis. My early memories were of players like Dennis Amiss, John Jameson, Rohan Kanhai, M J K Smith, Lance Gibbs with the likes of Bob WIllis, Alvin Kallicharren and Deryck Murray joining soon after.

The Bears have always been under-achievers, barring the amazing 1994 treble winners, given the financial resources they have available, and it's nice to look at the LV League 1 table today and see them perched on top (and probably safe from relegation before the end of May - true Brummie pessimism).

The fly in the ointment for the Bears in 1994.

There's always been a great rivalry between the two counties. I remember the eccentric Worcestershire supporter who used to take his hunting horn to games. Again, there were some legendary names in the first Worcestershire team I saw - Headley, Turner, D'Oliveira, Holder and, er, Jim Cumbes.

It's the finest game known to man, county cricket has witnessed a resurgence so far this season, good weather has lead to plenty of thrilling games. Internationally, we have a great summer too. Sri Lanka and India! Tendulkar's probable swansong.

Great come back by Sri Lanka against the Lions (Dilshan,Tharanga) suggests the upcoming test could be a tough one. Perhaps Morgan will finally get a game after missing out on the Ashes but who to drop? Bell? Pietersen?

ETA: Mistake by Morgan shouldn't count against him despite SL victory.

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great come back by Sri Lanka against the Lions

> (Dilshan,Tharanga) suggests the upcoming test

> could be a tough one. Perhaps Morgan will finally

> get a game after missing out on the Ashes but who

> to drop? Bell? Pietersen?

>

> ETA: Mistake by Morgan shouldn't count against him

> despite SL victory.

Bell has been in form in the last two county championship games for Warwickshire. Trott on the other hand...

Trott rather than KP? I think Trott has more grit which might be needed against Sri Lankan guile but maybe Atticus is right and Finn will be the one left out so KP can add his occasional off spin and Trott his medium pace (now colly's gone) to a 4-man attack.

First proper rain delay of the season nothing now until 3.30pm! - it really is summer!!

Sri lanka won toss and will bat, meanwhile (complaining about the stadium and saying they should be playing at the Millenium stadium instead of the SWALEC so they could close the roof) Alec Stewart is talking about the wind whistling through his helmet again.

35 for 0 on a flat lifeless wicket with no movement - a long hard slog for England's bowlers looks likely - epitomised by fact of GB saying he would have loved a wicket like this one so he could settle in for a long innings.

Poor crowd - 1st home test for Ashes winning side and only 6,000 or so in the ground. Is it the opposition? The ground?