What happened to manners!

Unkle_Paulie

Totally agree. Saturday afternoon on Lordship Lane usually leaves me seething with the general lack of manners of some people (shoppers not shopkeepers) -so much so that sometimes I avoid going there altogether.

I'm obviously not quite alone in feeling this, although maybe I've got a dose of overrighteous indignationitis?

H

Unkle_Paulie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> does a sunny day in east dulwich cause people to

> forgot their manners!

>

> a simple thank you or even smile surely can't be

> that difficult...

>

> poor poor poor... what's happening to this town!

ok a little more detail for StraferJack...

i had popped out with with my 17 month old son in his buggy. i am very conscious that pushing a buggy down the high street can be difficult at the best of times, especially when busy.

so i always make a conscious effort to allow others to pass by even if it means waiting to let people through.

given this, a simple gesture to acknowledge this wouldn't be too difficult but it clearly it is!

no doubt if i were to push my buggy irregardless of others there would be many a post on the forum complaining about buggies on the lane...

if people in cars can raise a hand to acknowledge thanks surely people on foot can??

Unkle_Paulie Wrote:

> ok a little more detail for StraferJack...

>

> i had popped out with with my 17 month old son in

> his buggy. i am very conscious that pushing a

> buggy down the high street can be difficult at the

> best of times, especially when busy.

>

> so i always make a conscious effort to allow

> others to pass by even if it means waiting to let

> people through.

>

> given this, a simple gesture to acknowledge this

> wouldn't be too difficult but it clearly it is!

>

> no doubt if i were to push my buggy irregardless

> of others there would be many a post on the forum

> complaining about buggies on the lane...

>

> if people in cars can raise a hand to acknowledge

> thanks surely people on foot can??

I don't think you can have lived in many other areas of London if you think LL is rude. Try the same walk down Walworth rd and you'll realise that not only is it a lot more polite here - it is sometimes infuriatingly so.

In the park, I always make my dogs wait if runners/joggers/cyclists are going past. I reckon 2/10 say thanks or acknowledge us. Over Nuhead cemetary last week, 2 adults and 4 children jogged behind us, I made the dogs wait at the side if the path, they ran straight past and right through the middle of my husband and our friend, not a thanks in sight, good way to teach the children :'(

Salsaboy Wrote:

> I think that manners in this country leave a lot

> to be desired. Having just spent 2 weeks in the

> US, with a week in San Francisco, I was amazed at

> how polite the people were, not just in the shops

> but everywhere.

Yes but, remember they have guns.

maxxi Wrote:

> I don't think you can have lived in many other

> areas of London if you think LL is rude. Try the

> same walk down Walworth rd and you'll realise that

> not only is it a lot more polite here - it is

> sometimes infuriatingly so.

maxxi, i've lived in a few parts of london over the past 18 years and if i wanted a battle every time i went down the high st then i would live in camberwell or peckham... luckily i don't, however its a shame LL seems to be heading the same way!

as for Salsaboy's comment regarding the US, my time in NYC was a pleasant and polite experience even with guns!

RosieH - I like your style ;)

Okay let's talk... I agree a simple acknowledgement is desirable but feel that kind of politeness is due from all - and in my experience those lacking it most are the pushchair drivers themselves.

Quite apart from talking on their mobiles or window shopping or talking to friends/partners whilst they career down LL, oblivious to those taking avoiding action to stop their shins being whacked, they seem to congregate (usually where the pavement narrows) and talk to other pc drivers with their vehicles parked at angles that deny pedestrians a clear passage. Requests to move aside, however politley expressed, are often met with stares that suggest you just asked if you could molest their offspring.

Worse still are those with pushchairs that double as playbrounds and have detachable scooters and skateboards which the sprogs zip around on whether on LL or in supermarkets and the only politeness I have ever observed from pc drivers is the 'sorry' AFTER I have been whacked in the shins or had my feet trodden on or scooted over, as though that made it okay.

I would rather not be whacked at all than receive a hundred apologies and would hope these people looked where they were going instead of pushing ahead on blissful ignorance of other pavement users believing the pavements are for them alone.

So yes BE POLITE, but also look where you are going!

I've been a pc-pusher but now that my shin-whacking days are over, I have a question on ED bicycle etiquette.

My question is this - my child is graduating from a pc to a bike. Is it OK if I ride alongside or behind her on the pavement on my own bike? Just thought I'd check, although this seems to be routine ED behaviour on the part of nice middle-class mums and dads...

I have observed same.

Main roads (LL etc) are not for small children (i.e. those graduating from a pc) on bikes whether on pavement or road, nor are the pavements for scooters, mini-bikes with training wheels or skateboards. Even wreckless heely moves should be kept to the side streets.

This unfortunate and selfish practice has more to do with parents using bikes etc. to keep their children interested on boring trips to the shops - well tough, they should be made to realise at as early an age as possible that such trips ARE boring and that they would much rather be home eating lego.

For children learning to cycle I suggest the Bikeability scheme. When they have passed the modern equivalent of the old cycling proficiency test they can take their chances on the roads like adults do.

I have found that manners in general, is lacking not just in ED but in everyday life lack of respect to the following.

Lack of respect to the elderly

Lack of respect to each other

Lack of respect from children to their parents the list goes on.