Deliveries out of working hours

the-e-dealer

It's a perennial problem this.

What about neighbours you know will be in? Or any forumites you can trust? depending on what part of the area you are in you could ask if anyone is available? If you don't like the look of them, say you are already sorted, and if it's someone reasonably sane you could arrange something?

Most of my Neighbours work . And one is a Socialite playboy so he's never in. I cant really understand WHY companies get away with expecting us to be in but also earn money to spend. Ah well. Oh and Amazon only do before 1.00 By the time I get to work it would be 2.30 so a over a half day's leave wasted.

Dell used to do a 6.00-9.00pm slot as standard, but I think they may have stopped that. You can arrange for relatively small packages (the micro-wave might be too big) to be delivered to your local sub post office - sometimes when Royal Mail Parcels can't deliver they take stuff to sub post offices anyway and leave a note saying what they have done (the post takes it back to the sorting office).

This is a problem I have all the time. Sounds like a potential business opportunity for some bonded warehouse around ED.

However, how much would people be prepared to pay? ?5 per day? But what if you're on holiday for a week - that may swallow any saving you've made on the internet. Still cheaper than taking a day off work though. What about small registered letters, would ?5 be too much? And multiple items, say two quilts and two pillows - what is an acceptable charge to store these items until you can pick them up after work?

I am thinking of setting up a "Home Service" as part of a larger business we currently run and this is one of the areas I would like to offer, i.e. taking deliveries on behalf of people and then delivering at a time that suits them, or for larger items, plumbers, electricians, etc. offering a waiting in service. So I apologise for not being able to give any direct advice, but this seemed like a perfect opportunity to gauge local opinion on whether this would be of interest to the busy and working folk of East Dulwich and the surrounding area. Other services would include local babysitters (particularly for Parent Evenings which are short and you don't necessarily want the hassle of using someone like Sitters!), gardening, handyman, holiday services, secretarial services, shopping, tree surgery; anything you need for the home that isn't major refurbishment or property maintenance, which is what our main company does (The Build Team, sorry couldn't resist the plug).

I would be really grateful for anyone's input into this as it is just an idea at the moment.

Many thanks

FrannyP

Unless you're saving stupid money on the e-tailer price or you have to have a specific brand/model just go to Sainsbury's on DKH once you're home (open til 00:00) or pop out to Curry's or Comet, etc as most are open past 7 on at least one evening. I've used Peter Jones in Sloane Square on a Thurs eve to avoid the crowds and ensure a decently warranteed product and getting back on the train after 6:30 is easy.

Any particular reason you need it delivered other than the commute home with a large package!?