Wanted: kids up to age 14 to judge a science prize

ClaireClaire

Hello all

The Royal Society is looking for young people aged up to 14 to judge the winner of the Royal Society Young People's Book Prize. http://royalsociety.org/sciencebooks/young-people/judges/

The idea is for young people from local schools or communities around the UK to get together and form mini judging panels, led by an adult who can help them co-ordinate the process. The group would have to read the six books shortlisted for the prize and then submit its choice to the Royal Society. The results from all the groups around the UK will be collated by the RS to determine the winner.

This sounds like such a fun little project! I am trying to get a group of around 6 young people together to take part. I have 2 people signed up so far, so there's space for 4 more.

The Royal Society is a fabulous institution to be associated with. It was founded in 1660 and is the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence. All young people who take part in the project will receive a certificate from the Royal Society and of course we'll get to read and discuss six great books about science along the way!

I anticipate that we'll meet 3 or 4 times between now and the end of October, when the judging panels' recommendations have to be sent in. I will try to get a meeting space at Dulwich Library for this.

I am local ED resident, I have two kids aged 4 and 2 and I work part-time as a tutor for GCSE Maths and Science for a local authority. I have an ScB in Physics with Neuroscience from an ivy league college in the USA. Participation in this project is absolutely FREE and books will be provided.

If your child might like to be involved, please do get in touch.... and soon! Groups need to declare themselves to the Royal Society by next Wednesday 1 June.

Thanks,

Claire

PS: Admin, hope I am in the right section here.