Best chain coffee shop in London: Nero... Every time

Frankito

I hate Starbucks and their over-roasted bland coffees and don't get me start on Costa. We need another Nero on Forest Hill Rd so that I don't have to trek so far for my caffeine hit.

Also, I urge all you coffee addicts to try a flat white, if you haven't done so already..... Yummilicious

In that case I encourage you not to read threads which don't interest you and also not to reply to them... I wasn't aware there were any specific rules against expressing an opinion in Le Lounge, kindly enlighten me on the rule again and I shall bear it in mind going forward.

Thank you for not caring about flat whites, I assume that is a no vote from the Medic, thanks and happy Bank Holiday.

You sound like you might need a group hug! >:D<

Ok ok my post isnt about bringing more chains within our midst.

As a coffee fiend I guess I am more interested in the bean discussion.

What is a Jemmy? Don't resist the group hug; those that dorh prorest are those most in need. Now let's form a wide circle.. Medic in the middle.

Frankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's an uphill struggle, especially with

> opinionated young whippersnappers like me around.

> Banned from all other forums, destined to grow old

> here in this Lounge prison.

It could be worse - you could be imprisoned in the drawing room. I only popped in there for a peek and it took me an hour to shake the 'po-faced glumness' of the place off.

*sips alocoholically-improved coffee with a shudder*

Caffe Vergano is a small chain (3 outlets in London). Provides the best expresso I've drunk outside of Rome. Beats any other chain - including Neros into a cocked hat.

The coffee machine they use is a fantastic piece of machinery, cross between functional design with brass "Heath Robinson" elements to it. Worth a visit to look at this alone. I tend to use the Charing Cross branch.

Quids, I laughed at your assumption.. Declining to answer as I will only open the floodgates forgrief.

Anyway, I do support my local independents in a very big way although unfortunately not as much on the coffee front as I ought to - I bkame that on thefactthat I don't get to spend as much time in ED as I would like. For convenience sake, Nero is closestto where I work andfrom there, grew the fondness. As for M&S, a lifetime of habit..

Marmora Man, is there a Caffe Vergano around Liverpool St? I have had a few super coffees in some non-chain establishments - all league of their owm..

Where are the best non-chain places in ED for proper coffee? Locale do a nice Expresso martini but that doesn't really count, does it?

Frankito, nearest CV is on Chancery Lane - so a bit of a walk. If we're talking small chains tho' shouldn't forget Monmouth Coffee House's - again usually very high quality.

Around ED - I only drink expresso in my own kitchen - otherwise filter coffee from Blue Mountain, Luca's and Green & Blue is usally OK.