Slutwalk

RosieH

Thanks Brendan.

My walking buddy isn't well, and I'm trying to find someone else to hang out with - if anyone local's going and wouldn't mind a tag-along, do let me know.

Jah, you know better than that.

Thanks lovely Jah.

For anyone who is unaware, the Slutwalks aren't about reclaiming the word 'slut' as has often been misreported in some of the more sensationalist press.

They started as students in Canada were advised on campus by a police officer that if they want to avoid being raped, they should avoid dressing like sluts. The point of these walks is to reinforce the message that rape is the crime and the fault of the rapist, not of the victim.

Slutwalk London is happening on Saturday. Kick off is 1pm at Picadilly.

KK, yes, it bally well is. I wasn't being serious. Double standards are a very real part of this problem.

If you want to dress like a slut then I suggest you don't wash your clothes and give them a quick blast of Febreze instead. PGC is quite right. Incidentally, Loyd Grossman once called me a slut and I wear it as a badge of honour - he meant it of course that I am a slattern as I couldn't iron his shirt to his exacting standards.

I have difficulty with this one... on the one hand I totally agree that men can't say it's ok to rape women if they dress provocatively.

But I've no desire to reclaim the word "slut" - I can't think of any time when it's been anything other than insulting...

I'd rather demonstrate for a proper investigation into why so few reported rapes result in a conviction and as a result even fewer bother to report, and some positive action to resolve. Recognition it's not women's fault (which to be honest I don't think many men would really argue with) doesn't seem enough.

If it makes you feel better Indiepanda (if that is possible, considering the subject matter) the reporting to conviction rate for rape (the 'attrition rate') is really not much better or worse than most other major offences. Not that that is any reason to be complacent.

I can dig out the stats if you like - I posted them a while ago during the Kenneth Clarke brouhaha.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it makes you feel better Indiepanda (if that is

> possible, considering the subject matter) the

> reporting to conviction rate for rape (the

> 'attrition rate') is really not much better or

> worse than most other major offences. Not that

> that is any reason to be complacent.

>

> I can dig out the stats if you like - I posted

> them a while ago during the Kenneth Clarke

> brouhaha.

Seriously?? Am not sure that does make me feel better actually!

We still seem to have a pretty bad record on rape and getting worse, if this newspaper report is anything to go by - worse conviction rates in Europe this says:- (I know this isn't the full story - but it's articles like this that give the impression conviction rates are very poor here to rape)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5321555/Britain-has-lowest-rape-conviction-rate-in-Europe-study-finds.html