Enemy of the State (1998)

Otta

Which one dat, Otta?

I watched Taken last night 'cos it was on. Never a good reason to watch a movie, and by Jingo was it pants. Apparently you can buzz round Paris bumping people off to your heart's content, and then just stroll back to LAX. Who knew?

Oh yeah, yeah. I have seen it - good film but can't say it stirred the hairs on the back of my neck.

I think my favourite action movie ... um ... argh, can't think of one. Can think of lots of great thrillers, or heist movies... but not action movies per se.

Yep, I like that one too. Apparently those CIA, FBI and other dark-glasses bedecked special service goons have everyone's phone tapped and can track the micro movements of your everyday existence; Kinda in that incisive way they homed in on Osama in just a matter of ten years.

CitizenED I wouldn't throw away your tinfoil hat just yet, remember what happened to this man and that was 15 years ago. They've probably got the technology now to look up ex-directory numbers or even caller id withheld numbers.

On the other hand anyone who has a Samsung mobile and has tried to update the firmware using the kies software, only to be left with a useless brick, as I just have for the second time, knows that all technology is complete bollocks.

Will have to look out for that.

I'm not big in to Action films, but occasionally I really enjoy one. I was very very surprised to really enjoy the new A-Team film recently.

I'm not even sure Enemy of the state is an Action film as such. It has a nice dollop of comedy from Smith, good rapport between Smith & Hackman, and it's at a very good pace, which keeps you interested.

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh yeah, yeah. I have seen it - good film but

> can't say it stirred the hairs on the back of my

> neck.

>

> I think my favourite action movie ... um ... argh,

> can't think of one. Can think of lots of great

> thrillers, or heist movies... but not action

> movies per se.

Speed? Point Break ? ( Enough Keanu: ed).

How do we define action film? Brainless rollercoaster ride? In which case probably not many good ones no, but it seems unfair on the genre to remove the good subdivisions like heist and thriller.

Would Bullit or even the Great Escape count as action films? I like to think so.

Heist films are surely usually action films aren't they (maybe not so much in the heyday of intelligent cinema (early to mid 70s before star wars ruined everything and introduced the Blockbuster) think Dog Day Afternoon).

Anyhoo, Hong Kong cinema has loads of great films, even John Woo who has yet to make a good one in Hollywood managed some classics.

The Matrix (Keanu...again?!?!) really was rather good, though the less said about the sequels the better I guess.

Never could stand the Speed films, though the Father Ted pastiche is one of the greats.

As mockney says, there are loads of quality HK action films... off the top of my head, Police Story, Better Tomorrow, God of Gamblers, Shaolin Soccer, Ip Man are definitely worth watching.

As for the big Hollywood blockbusters... Inception, Kill Bill, Matrix are cracking films... even the Bourne films are a lot of fun to watch.