is there a cycle speed limit in Dulwich park?

SaveShambo

Does anyone know if the 5mph car limit applies to bicycles in dulwich park? Got a load of abuse from a cyclist after shouting at him to slow down or use a proper road after he very nearly ran my dog over on sunday. Considering the number of small children and dogs who use the park it seems ludicrous that cyclists can use the nice flat path as a time trial circuit and zip round at 20+mph. would like to be sure of my ground before the next encounter!

At the risk of being lynched, some considerate walking would also be appreciated as well - I cycle through the park twice a day and particularly in the mornings you get strings of dog walkers who take up the whole width of the carriageway. They could walk in pairs rather than a long line so that cyclists could pass them more easily (Takes cover!). I rang my bell at someone's dog the other day to let it know I was coming so it could see me and she thought I was giving her abuse for getting in the way... It works both ways I think.

I've always assumed, as a cyclist, that it does apply although without a speedo, it is hard to judge. I settle gor taking it at a leisurely pace and slowing to walking speed when there are lots of walkers/dogs around with brakes well covered. The 'time trialists' bother me too most notably since they're often so focused on being aerodynamic that they aren't looking round as much. I pity the parkie trying to intervene.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I was cycling through Dulwich Park behind another female cyclist and her young son (4 or 5) on his bike. He was pedalling along but at a very low speed and I sat behind him since he looked a little wobbly and I didn't want to alarm him by passing. There was dogwalker nearby who was walking along the road with her dog off the leash but rather than call him to heel, allowed the dog to career through the path of the three bikes on the other side of the road which created great wobbling from the child and a near fall. Then we got some verbal abuse about speeding which we weren't. There needs to be consideration from all park users which in general I think exists.

For those Dulwich Cyclists who want to speed (for perfectly good reasons, no doubt) can I suggest that the Herne Hill Velodrome is an excellent place for fast cycling (obviously inappropriate for those cyling to get somewhere, but not for those cycling for exercise's or speed's sake, to show off to themselves their/ their bike's capabilities) - vide the time trial comment by the OP.

Not a cyclist or a dog owner but it seems very clear to me where the road is and where the masses of open field is. One would think common sense would prevail but then those dog owners seem blind to the signs which say not to take dogs off leads and don't care about terrorizing young children. Seeing as dulwich park hires out bikes and the road is VERY wide why don't the dog owners keep off the road. They could also keep their dogs on leads so I don't have to drag the rotten shit machines away from my child.

I say well done becca.

I cycle round the park at a speed that is c15-20 mph (but not one of the triathlon nutters who seem to constantly lap me). Never had any problems with dog walkers, runners, roller bladers, kids. I think people just need to use some common sense.

I would say that there is an aweful lot of park where cyclists dont go, so I dont think the tarmaced part should be a 5mph limit.....

Frankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 'so that I don't have to drag the rotten shit

> machines away from my child'

>

> That says more about you than anything else

> dear... I would love to see you drag my dog away,

> I would bite you myself..

Lol

tommyt Wrote:

> I cycle round the park at a speed that is c15-20

> mph (but not one of the triathlon nutters who seem

> to constantly lap me). Never had any problems with

> dog walkers, runners, roller bladers, kids. I

> think people just need to use some common sense.

>

> I would say that there is an aweful lot of park

> where cyclists dont go, so I dont think the

FFS it's a park not a speed trial track.

> tarmaced part should be a 5mph limit.....

tommyt Wrote:

> I cycle round the park at a speed that is c15-20

> mph (but not one of the triathlon nutters who seem

> to constantly lap me). Never had any problems with

> dog walkers, runners, roller bladers, kids. I

> think people just need to use some common sense.

>

> I would say that there is an aweful lot of park

> where cyclists dont go, so I dont think the

> tarmaced part should be a 5mph limit.....

Why do you somehow think that rules just don't apply to cyclists? And where does common sense come into speeding?

I think all wheels should be removed at the park entrance to ensure the 5 mph rule is maintained. Anyone caught running on tarmac with bike frame will be set upon by the angry pack of feral dingos who have made the park their home.

Frankito Wrote:

> 'so that I don't have to drag the rotten shit

> machines away from my child'

>

> That says more about you than anything else

> dear... I would love to see you drag my dog away,

> I would bite you myself..

Frankito- calm down 'dear'...

The point being made was that on the road section dogs should be on leads. A dog may come up to you, tail wagging, and be perfectly friendly but not everyone likes, or wants, dogs near them- something many owners seem not to understand (or even be offended by). If you want to keep a dog that's your right. But it's my right not to be bothered by your dog, so respect that.

And kids and dogs- a dog looks a lot bigger when you're small and vulnerable, and can make little ones nervous. We've had a dog run up to us in the park- playfully, but my five year old didn't know that. She followed her instinct and ran. Of course, it chased after her thinking it was a game, which made her even more frightened. Then, when I dragged the animal away from my sobbing child, the owner (ignoring me completely) began to tell my daughter off because the dog was 'only playing, and she shouldn't have run away but just kept still'.

Obviously, a big consolation to a small child who's unused to dogs and is now terrified out of her wits.

So, a 'frank exchange of views' followed, but of course the owner refused to accept she had been in any way negligent for failing to keep the animal under control.

For some reason your tone puts me in mind of that owner, Frankito, so while I know you're trying to be funny and all, let's keep a little perspective, eh?

Oh, and don't even get me started on the subject of cleaning dogshit off kids' shoes- not just in the park, but on the pavement outside the school...

Muley eh, thanks for the advice but next time you want to go off on a random tangent, do so to yiyr own kids and not to me.

I don't have an issue with being asked to keep my dog under control and I certainly wouldn't take offence to being asked politely to mind my dog in front of small kids. My disgust was more at the use the term shit machine. How you managed to infer so many things from my previous post amazes me.. Perspective eh.... The irony is almost humorous..

No Frankito, not a random tangent, more a linear continuation of the topic-

You made a condescending response to a previous post: 'That says more about you than anything else dear...'

Yes- it says the poster doesn't like having dogs come near their kids, or the dogshit often left behind by selfish, irresponsible owners.

My post referred to a similar experience, and the observation that many dog owners actually seem to be offended if others aren't similarly charmed by their pets and their behaviour. My only inference was that you may fall into this category, and perhaps get a little peeved that not everyone is a dog lover. Hence perspective, yes?

Then again, maybe I just misunderstood your words 'I would love to see you drag my dog away, I would bite you myself..' and you fully respect the right of others to hold a different opinion*

* Now that was ironic...