Eurozone

Tarot

Since the UK isn't in the Eurozone, why on earth would anyone be taking such unnecessary glee in the challenges it faces?

Is it possible that there's been a great deal of fear, anxiety and inadequacy that someone else is actually trying to make a better world for us all? The comments above seem to be more about relief that petty small mindedness and a lack of ambition might find some solace in the travails of others.

It is a sad British trait that we sit in our pathetic, failing, rotten little island whilst pouring scorn on others who engage a social conscience and try to improve their lot.

Comments on this thread remind me why the rest of the world think Britain is such a sad case. It started with Suez, and we've been sat crying in our own sh*t ever since.

Hardly one and the same thing. I was against the UK entering the Euro because I thought it wasn't possible to effectively manage such a large economic area properly and that problems like this would arise. I think we benefit from being able to set out own interest rates and the floating exchange rate.

As for the Olympics, ticketing issues aside, I think we are doing a pretty good job of it. The building looks well advanced and it seems to have been well thought through, especially about how the area will be used afterwards to give a boost to a deprived area. Am sure I will be glued to the TV when its on and hoping the local support will inspire us to a great medal tally.

The OPs on this thread aren't speaking out 'against joining the Euro' - the UK is not in the Euro and is unlikely to be joining it soon.

They're anticipating a restructuring and jumping up and down with glee at someone else's misfortune.

They're not campaigning - they want it to fail, and for no good reason apart from spite (an ugly emotion at the best of times).

That's what's filling me with disgust.

I think the UK's doing a great job of the Olympics also.

What I'm seeing is a common thread of spite and misanthropy, nothing to do with the internationalism of Eurozone or Olympics.

Hugenot detached from the real world shocker - the various economies weren't ready for it clearly (and as many of us said at the time), the various populations weren't convinced....just a few misguided politicaians have f*cked up millions of peoples lives with their 'idealistic' unworkable vision.

Pointing this out doesn't make you some rabid fetid little englander...it makes you right. Basically you just don't like being wrong and pour out a load of bile because you've been proved an absolute idiot on this Hugenot. You're the one who looks bitter and narrowminded.....it was not right at the time because it was never going to work as its many critics from accrooss the political spectrum said to a bucketfull of prehjudice, bkuster and ingnorant bile from the likes of you Hugenot.

Genuienely, and something I don't say very often, thank you Gordon and Ed.

PS I'm pleased about the Olympics, you really should move out of a black and white put a person in a box view of people. Simplistic thinking, I think you can do better.

"La mort of the eurozone is nigh, Hooray to that."

That isn't pointing out the challenges inherent regional currency management, it's premature spite and crowing.

The fact is that any minor correction in the common currency will be leapt on by the boo boys as proof of their insight and talent, even if it only refers to a nation that represents a fraction of a percentage of the overall economy.

Netiher does it excuse the fact that some people wanted it to fail for reasons that are unrelated to it's benefits.

Where's the Hurrah? In your paranoia?

Many of us just said it's nor practical yet, we got spat on then and now we are being proved right the venom's doubled from the flat earthers who can't see or won't see it as a failure.

The actual little englandesr are gloating, but they were right too whatever their reasons. Us prgmatist just get fed up as been labbelled as them just because we've said it wasn't going to work

Sorry for being right - that's what your actually miffed about. Man up. You were wrong, the application of your 'idealism' has ruined whole fucking countries for god sake. You're the ones who really deserve your own rancour.

It's always amusing to find Little Englanders finding common cause with French/Greek/Italian/you name it nationalists!

But gloating over the rumoured demise of the eurozone has a touch of cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face about it.

Staycationers aside, the eurozone (and Schengen) still mean something to those who suddenly found easy access to a whole continent opening up before them at the end of the last century. You surely don't have to be a Euro-idealist to not want to go back to the days that you had to change your currency (and pay charges and be at the mercy of fluctuating exchange rates) every time you crossed a border 'over there' and then come home with a pocketful of assorted loose change?

....or unlimited access to incredibly cheap money with no financial discipline to go with it...as *sighs* many of us said.

Remove the trite stuff about crossing borders and the dialogues has gone something like this

Enthusiasts: Let's have common currency that'll be great

Sceptic: mmm maybe we should think about this it's a serouis major political and economic issue

Enthusiasist: F*ck off you swivelled eyes little englander

Sceptic: a debate?

Enthusiast:F*ck off you swivelled eyes little englander

Sceptic: Look this really carries some seru=ious risks

Sceptic a year ago; It's really not looking good is it?

Sceptic in the past few weeks: erm, sorry but we were right

Sceptic: maybe next time you might consider debating this rather than insults?

etc

'you've been proved an absolute idiot on this Huguenot'

I'm looking forward to you first identifying where my opinion has been idiotic, and secondly laying out your proof.

The tragedy in your response to this predictable 'crisis' point in the euro (there was always going to be a few) is that you consistently fail to look beyond your own petty obsessions to see the bigger picture.

A disunited Europe is going to starve itself of resources, energy and food in the face of the superpowers of USA, China, India and Russia. I reckon you're sh*t scared of that and in denial.

Your energy would be better spent in supporting strategies to address that, instead of dancing on the undug grave of a Eurozone that hasn't failed.

Since the Eurozone hasn't yet failed, I can only assume that you're trying to 'talk it down'. An ambition whose positive contribution I completely fail to see.

Don't be fooled folks - the Euro is far from dead and may well come out of this stronger. It's almost as if it's been engineered. Greece, Ireland and Portugal are now slaves to the Eurozone for generations to come even if they default and leave the Euro (but not necessarily the EU). Who else will lend them money? The Eurozone will become more powerful with europe-wide economic and fiscal policy.

Even if the Euro was a bad idea (I'm not convinced it was), I don't understand the "Hooray to that", "About bloody time", attitude. What do you have to gain by the failing of the Euro?

Huguenot, so Britain is pathetic/failing/rotten... compared to what? Certainly not compared to Spain, Greece, Ireland. Or the US. Please don't say Singapore...

Actually, most of the conversations I have ever noticed have gone...

Enthusiasts: Let's have a common currency that'll be great

Sceptic: But then the pahnd wouldn't 'ave the queens 'ead on it, woodit?

I can see a few countries falling out of the Euro, but the Euro will live on. I don't understand this 'hooray for that' attitude either - it's almost like loads of people have been secretly annoyed for years at the Euro's success.

Whilst Germany and France want a common currency it will live on. And just to annoy you Eurosceptics, losing Greece and a few others will only make it stronger.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry for being right - that's what your actually

> miffed about. Man up. You were wrong, the

> application of your 'idealism' has ruined whole

> @#$%& countries for god sake. You're the ones who

> really deserve your own rancour.

Who says your right? As Mark Twain would say, reports of its death are greatly exaggerated.

And Greece's problems - whilst based in it's entry into the Euro - were caused by it taking every single Euro cent it had (and then a lot more) and pissing it up the wall for the past decade or so.