Dead fox in the stairwell at Nunhead Station

ElDuderino

Here's a response to a complaint I made to Southeastern about the dead fox in the Nunhead station stairwell. I thought some of you who use the station might find it amusing...

Dear Mr Wilkes

Thank you for your website comment which we received on 20 June 2011.

I am very sorry for the situation you describe at Nunhead Station on Monday 20 June, with a dead fox in the stairwell which wasn't being dealt with. Your account of this situation is extremely disappointing and I again apologise for letting you and other passengers down so much. We certainly want to make sure that the station environment is a pleasant experience for those passengers waiting for their train services.

We do try to ensure that our stations are cleaned and maintained regularly. The Station Manager and his staff should make regular inspections of all public areas throughout the day. If any problems are discovered, then our staff should try to rectify these as quickly as possible.

However, on this occasion it is clear that we failed to address the problem you (and not doubt others) discovered. So I have brought your comments to the attention of the Station Manager, who will ensure that this issue is addressed as a priority.

Once again, please accept my apologies for this poor situation. I hope your future experiences at Nunhead are trouble free.

Yours sincerely

Yvonne Quinn

Customer Relations Officer

Southeastern

Dear Wilko

Cheers for your website comment which we received on 20 June 2011.

I am very sorry for the situation you describe at Nunhead Station on Monday 20 June, with a fekin dead fox in the stairwell which wasn't being dealt with. See, trouble is that the DEAD FOX locker was full which was extremely disappointing and I again apologise for that letting you and other passengers down so much. We certainly want to make sure that the station environment/Fox locker is empty & passengers waiting for their train services don't have to see a DEAD FOX.

We do try to ensure that our stations are cleaned of Dead Foxes and maintained regularly. The Station Manager and his staff should make regular inspections of all public areas throughout the day, collecting up dead foxes in the morning when any problems/foxes are discovered, then our staff should try to rectify/hide these as quickly as possible.

However, on this occasion it is clear that we failed to address/hide the problem you (and not doubt others) discovered a stinking carcass of a Dead fox. So I have brought your comments to the attention of the Station Manager, who will ensure that this issue is addressed as a priority.

Once again, please accept my apologies for this poor situation, however I do blame the last government ( and why not ). I hope your future experiences at Nunhead are trouble/Fox free.

Yours sincerely

Yvonne

Customer Relations/ dead fox Officer

Southeastern

In a move to use more rural methods in dealing with urban problems - as part of the new Big Society - dead foxes are on display at selected stations to deter fare evaders. Dead stoats and squirrels at Northern Line tube stations and the occasional dead badger on the DLR have had limited success but dead crows on night buses have been a disappointment and some have in fact been stolen.