Should ED make a stand and boycott News Corporations NOTW

georgegarrett

It looks like the NOTW hacked into Milly Dowlers mobile phone, 10years ago while she was still presumed missing.

They deleted messages, gave her parents and the police false hope. They thought it was her doing it and thought she was still alive. Ultimately they led the investigation astray.

Levi bellfield then went on to kill 3 more young girls. This is truly an Evil and Despicable act by the NOTW in order to sell more news papers and give News Corporation ultimately more control and influence within UK politics. There should be piles of these things left in every news agent this Sunday.

As much as I despise those sorts of papers, chances are the folks who were there 10 years ago are not there now.

And anyway, also chances are many people in ED don't read that paper or am I making assumptions?

Either way, I don't think it will make any difference. If people did not read those papers, Murdoch et al would not create them.

I have always bought News of the Screws because occasionally I like to pick at my own scabs and this will make no difference.

It is a GM laden factory-farmed hamburger with toxic relish but man cannot live on goodness alone. It is a scandal sheet and is the one paper I see "Observer/Indie" readers poring over avidly in supermarkets ("I'll wait here darling, you go and see if there's any single estate olive oil") before reluctantly taking their approved broadsheet to the checkout. There are worse things, worse corporations and worse people in the world than those in the news of it, we just don't know who they are.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sod off to the Drawing Room. We don't want this

> sort of trash in the Lounge thank you very much.

Shouldn't your post be in the 'About the forum' section then?

I thought the Lounge was for any topic that people wished to discuss - and that was allowed to go 'off-topic' into the bargain.

As the other boycott thread (about boycotting French cheese over the behaviour of IMF man) was moved to the businesses section ONLY because the OP had titled the thread "Brie at the Cheese Block" thereby involving that excellent establishment in a brouhaha not of their own making; perhaps this thread belongs in the General ED issues/Gossip section - that's where all that guff sensitive debate about lollipop people started... just a thought

*goes back to pondering the NOTW quick crossword*

The Milly story is truly horrifying but should be kept separate from the other issue regarding newspapers and the lengths they go to for a 'scoop'. Nothing surprises and nor will it ever with that lot.

And as for The Southwark News, dear Lord, last time I was feeling so bored that I was chomping my way through my own eyeballs, even then I was reaching for the special self-harm only knife. Even my dog preferred to piss on the floor and face Daddy wrath than humiliate her private parts by squatting so close to shit that wasn't her own!

@frankito,

I guess it depends on how you read the Southwark News. I just love the in the dock section to see if there is a person I know. If only Southwark News could also publish their online nicknames.

I don't think boycotting the NOTW would be fair to employees who had nothing to do with the scandal. But as this case is truly shocking then throwing the guilty in jail is the only sensible recourse IMO.

On the other hand, News International feels they have the ability to select the next government and this is enough reason to boycott the papers.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> As much as I despise those sorts of papers,

> chances are the folks who were there 10 years ago

> are not there now.

>

you might think that but the fact is that the then editor of the NOTW is now the chief exec of News International

Loz Wrote:

> I for one would like to see the flame-haired

> husband-beater in the dock...

With Ross Kemp giving evidence from behind a screen and using dolls "The she touched me there...".

Puts the whole johaan haari thing into perspective doesn't it?

I don't think "it was on my watch but i wasn't aware" is an excuse that washed with rebekka when she is chasing down some social services managers

Aaaanyway. I suspect that what we have heard so far is tip of the iceberg.