> Dip in your prawns and enjoy!

>

>

> I don't know, but it seems kind of loveless to

> me.

>

>

> N(!)

You don't have to love yourself or others. You just have to sort things out, out, out......

Here is an interesting concept: eat less crappy food i.e. All those things that you enjoy.

Do regular cardio which you will also probably hate.

It's the only way and not rocket science yet it amazes me how the general public seem to miss this every time..

It's a bit more complex than that Frankito. Humans did not evolve eating huge amount of carbs but the modern diet is full of carbohydrates. The effects of a high carb diet over time can be higher than normal insulin levels and lethargy which add to your body fat. The amount of food obviously makes a difference, but the type of food you eat (and drink) can make a big difference too.

Yes and it works as the last stage (you need to read the book)is so easy to maintain. It's also a lot healthier than Atkins.

I'd advise you to buy the book - about ?6 from Amazon - but to summarise the diet is split into 4 stages:

1st stage: consume nothing but lean protein (inc eggs), 1.5 tbsp oat bran and 1.5 litres of water for 1-10 days (depending on how much fat you need to lose). You can also have fat free yoghurts, tea, coffee etc.

2nd stage: start adding veggies to the above every other day

3rd stage: can include bread, pasta (within recommended amounts in book)

Last stage (when you've reached your ideal weight): eat what you like but have ONE DAY per week of only lean protein.

GOOD LUCK!

I did it and the first stage is pretty brutal (and expensive). side effects are constipation, lethargy and dreaming of vegetables. People also start at you as you eat ham at your desk by the handful. It works though. I lost 6lb in a week though I think most of that was water. Problem is in the first week you really cant do exercise. It stabilised over then next couple of weeks when I introduced veg but i generally dropped a pound a week. I didnt get the afternoon slumps like when I ate a carbs rich diet and generally felt pretty good. I reached target weight quickly and managed to keep it off - mostly with quite a lot of exercise which seemed to have more of an impact - probably because my body wasnt smear with fat and I wasnt bloated. Oddly I found my periods were heavier err and my hair seemed to grow faster and my skin is better (could be my imagination)

Then I met my fella, started drinking like a thirsty sailor with fine dining and baking. I havent put weight on as quickly I would normally (Lady D definitely has a point about the carbs thing) but I have put weight on. I cant face Dukan again as it is a bit anti social, but I have taken some habits forward - more lean protein, oat bran (love that stuff) and less carbs.

I think it is a good kick start, but it requires the will power that only comes with seeing yourself from behind in a bikini!

good luck!

Lady Del, lots of carbs is the same as crappy food, I don't dispute that fact at all. I just wonder how mindful some people sre when it comes to food... I would love to stuff my chops with McCoys Salt n Vinegar but I force myself not to and choose to dream of them instead, because I don't want to get unhealthy. It takes constant willpower but it's not impossible.

They say it takes 28 days to change/ create a habit (my shrink told my that) with the exception of heroin in which case that average is reduced from 28 days to 28 mins.. I digress..

Willpower is the key to successful and sustainable healthy living. If we can incorporate such positive behaviours into our lifestyles for 28 days then surely we would slowly begin to accept and embrace change, replacing cravings with healthy, moderate behaviour...

Am I ranting?

Thanks all for your comments. I have read the book and found it interesting. Just like to add that I rarely eat junk food or fast food for that matter and exercise 4 times a week but nothing seems to shift this middle aged spread!

Worse thing is, you'll get to the end of stage one. You'll look lighter, but slightly gaunt.

Your clothes will look faded and oversized,your skin will rebel and break out and your sex life will go due to feeling constipated.

Add insult to injury; your breath will smell of farts due to ketosis.

NETTE:-S

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yep. If you want to lose weight, eat less food,

> cut out the cakes/pies/chips, do some exercise. We

> all know this. So why do we even need silly fad

> diets?

Coz we love cakes/pies/chips more.

( you missed out booze though )

Nette:)-D

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yep. If you want to lose weight, eat less food,

> cut out the cakes/pies/chips, do some exercise. We

> all know this. So why do we even need silly fad

> diets?

Coz we love cakes/pies/chips more.

( you missed out booze )

Nette:)-D

Ladygooner Wrote:

> Thanks all for your comments. I have read the

> book and found it interesting. Just like to add

> that I rarely eat junk food or fast food for that

> matter and exercise 4 times a week but nothing

> seems to shift this middle aged spread!

What's your exercise schedule? Do you change it up regularly to keep challenging the body? If it's all endurance work at one level, then try adding in some intervals to make it a bit tougher for sections. Or change the time you work out if possible - as soon as I start cycling to work in the morning (pre-breakfast), I drop a few kilos since presumably my body needs to burn fat. Doing the same amount of exercise in the evening in the winter (spin), doesn't have the same effect. And make sure you've got a mix of cardio and some resistance in there. The cardio will help burn off calories but the weights will help you build some muscle so that you burn more.

And carbs do include the sugars in fruit juices (basically like drinking Coke with a vitamin pill), rice/pasta (particularly if you measure by eye, it's easy to cook up an extra 25g and 100calories), lattes/cappuccinos and most sadly, glasses of wine. You can not eat junk food and still overindulge in carbs quite easily.

• 1 month later...